Fermilab summer Lee Teng Intership

In summary, the Fermilab summer Lee Teng Intership is highly competitive and requires reading the application carefully. You will be notified if you are not accepted, but don't expect to hear anything until late Spring.
Tincho42
Hi,

I applied to the Fermilab summer Lee Teng Intership. I have heard it is super competitive though. Does anyone know when should I hear back from them? Do they send an email or letter? Do they notify you if you are not accepted?

Thanks for your support!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tincho42 said:
Hi,

I applied to the Fermilab summer Lee Teng Intership. I have heard it is super competitive though. Does anyone know when should I hear back from them? Do they send an email or letter? Do they notify you if you are not accepted?

Thanks for your support!

You won't hear back till late Spring. And yes, it is highly competitive because of the high number of applicants.

You also need to make sure you understand that this is an Internship run by both Fermilab and Argonne, i.e. don't think this is just a Fermilab program. You might easily be placed at Argonne to work on things not related to high energy physics experiments. I hope, in your essay, you have not misunderstood the nature and the sponsor of the program. The website and the application page clearly stated this. If you did not read this carefully and your essay shows your misunderstanding of it, don't be surprised if you don't get accepted. I've been known to discard an applicant mainly because he/she simply didn't read carefully about the program and had something entirely different in mind. A lot of students misunderstood "accelerator science" with "high energy physics".

Zz.

Hi ZapperZ,

Thanks for your quick response. I'll definately keep on waiting as this is my first choice for the summer. I know the internship is either at Fermilab or Argonne and the difference between accelerator science and high energy physics. I think (and hope) I did a good job explaining this in my essay too. Would having a background on Mechanical Engineering help?

Students who apply to the internship typically have either Physics or Engineering background. So I don't know why having a mechanical engineering background would help. You guys are going to be judged the same way. The only advantage is that, if you had already taken undergraduate E&M course, this will help you to do well in the course that you'll take at the Particle Accelerator school.

Zz.

Related to Fermilab summer Lee Teng Intership

1. What is the Fermilab Summer Lee Teng Internship?

The Fermilab Summer Lee Teng Internship is a research program designed for undergraduate students interested in pursuing careers in physics, engineering, computer science, or other related fields. It provides hands-on experience in cutting-edge research at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, located in Batavia, Illinois.

2. Who is eligible to apply for the internship?

The internship is open to all undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a college or university and have completed at least two years of coursework in a relevant field. Applicants must also be in good academic standing and have a strong interest in pursuing research in high-energy physics.

3. Is there a specific deadline to apply for the internship?

Yes, the deadline to apply for the Fermilab Summer Lee Teng Internship is typically in early February. However, it is recommended to check the program's website for the exact deadline as it may vary slightly from year to year.

4. What can I expect to gain from participating in the internship?

By participating in the Fermilab Summer Lee Teng Internship, you will have the opportunity to work alongside world-renowned scientists, engineers, and researchers on cutting-edge projects. You will also gain valuable hands-on experience in a professional research environment and have the chance to network with peers and experts in the field.

5. Is the internship paid?

Yes, selected interns will receive a stipend to cover their living expenses during the 10-week program. Additionally, housing and transportation assistance may also be provided for those who need it.