Feynman parametrization integration by parts

Using the same identity for $(1+i(k-k_i))^3$, we can write the original expression as\begin{align*}\frac{4}{\pi^{4}} \int_0^1 du \,(1-u)^2 \, \int dk \frac{e^{i k(u-1)}}{k^2(1+|k-k_i + k_i(1+u)|^2)^2}\end{align*}which is equivalent to the desired expression.
asmae
TL;DR Summary
Feynman parametrization integration by parts
How can i move from this expression:
$$\frac{4}{\pi^{4}} \int dk \frac{1}{k^2} \frac{1}{(1+i(k-k_{f}))^3} \frac{1}{(1+i(k-k_{i}))^3}$$
to this one:
$$\frac{4}{\pi^{4}} \int dk \frac{1}{k^2} \frac{1}{(1+|k-k_{i}|^2)^2} \frac{1}{(1+|k-k_{f}|^2)^2}$$
using Feynman parametrization (Integration by parts)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:We start with \begin{align*}\frac{4}{\pi^{4}} \int dk \frac{1}{k^2} \frac{1}{(1+i(k-k_{f}))^3} \frac{1}{(1+i(k-k_{i}))^3}\end{align*}and use the identity\begin{align*}\frac{1}{(1+i(k-k_f))^3} = \int_0^1 du \,(1-u)^2 \, e^{i (k-k_f) u}\end{align*}to obtain\begin{align*}&\frac{4}{\pi^{4}} \int_0^1 du \,(1-u)^2 \, \int dk \frac{e^{i (k-k_f) u}}{k^2} \frac{1}{(1+i(k-k_{i}))^3} \\&= \frac{4}{\pi^{4}} \int_0^1 du \,(1-u)^2 \, \int dk \frac{e^{i (k-k_f) u - i(k-k_i)}}{k^2(1+i(k-k_i))^2} \\&= \frac{4}{\pi^{4}} \int_0^1 du \,(1-u)^2 \, \int dk \frac{e^{i k(u-1) -i k_i (1+u)}}{k^2(1+i(k-k_i))^2} \\&= \frac{4}{\pi^{4}} \int_0^1 du \,(1-u)^2 \, \int dk \frac{e^{i k(u-1)}}{k^2(1+i(k-k_i + k_i(1+u)))^2} \\&= \frac{4}{\pi^{4}} \int_0^1 du \,(1-u

1. What is Feynman parametrization integration by parts?

Feynman parametrization integration by parts is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to simplify and solve integrals involving Feynman diagrams. It involves rewriting the integral in terms of a new variable, known as the Feynman parameter, and then using integration by parts to reduce the complexity of the integral.

2. Why is Feynman parametrization integration by parts important?

Feynman parametrization integration by parts is important because it allows physicists to calculate the probability amplitudes of various particle interactions in quantum field theory. These calculations are crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

3. How does Feynman parametrization integration by parts work?

The technique of Feynman parametrization integration by parts involves expressing the integral in terms of a new variable, known as the Feynman parameter, and then using integration by parts to simplify the integral. This allows for the integration to be broken down into smaller, more manageable integrals that can be solved using standard techniques.

4. What are the benefits of using Feynman parametrization integration by parts?

One of the main benefits of using Feynman parametrization integration by parts is that it allows for the calculation of complex integrals involving Feynman diagrams, which would be extremely difficult to solve using traditional methods. It also helps to simplify the integrals and make them more manageable, allowing for more accurate and efficient calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to Feynman parametrization integration by parts?

While Feynman parametrization integration by parts is a powerful technique, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable in certain cases, such as when the integral involves singularities or when the integrand is not well-behaved. In addition, it may not always provide the most efficient solution, and other techniques may be more suitable for certain integrals.