Feynman problem 39-2: Calculations for an adiabatic process

In summary, the assumption of an adiabatic process is not correct. The pump is adding energy to the system, and y = 1.40 does not help to solve the equation for the volume.
aa_o
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
P*V / T= constant
P*V^(y) = constant (if process is adiabatic)
I'm not sure that this is an adiabatic process. As far as i can read, it is adiabatic if no HEAT or ENERGY is added. But pumping in molecules that are a non-zero temperature is an addition of energy, no?
Anyway - my solution with the assumption of an adiabatic process.
(skipping units for brevity):
P0 = 14.7
P1 = 50.0
T0 = 293
y = 1.40

We have:
P0 * V0^y = P1 *V1^y
So:
V1 / V0 = (P0 / P1)^(1/y)

And
P0*V0 / T0 = P1*V1 / T1
So:
P1 / P0 * V1 / V0 = T1 / T0
Inserting:
(P0 / P1)^(-1) * (P0 / P1)^(1/y) = T1 / T0
T1 = (P0 / P1)^(1/y - 1) * T0

Inserting the values we get

T1 = 415.7 K = 142.55 C

The answer in the book says 173 C.
Are my assumptions about adiabatic wrong? Or am i using the wrong equations?
Can i really use P*V / T = constant if we are adding air molecules with the pump?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
aa_o said:
Can i really use P*V / T = constant if we are adding air molecules with the pump?

No. PV = nRT, and n is changing.

Okay. So the pump has a start state of:
P0 * V0 = n0 * R * T0
And end state of:
P1 * V0 = n1 * R * T1

I thus have 2 unknowns i need to solve the problem T1, which is what i need in the end, and the ratio of the number of molecules between the 2 states. I just can't find that extra connection that gives me the information about the ratio!

I still haven't used the fact that y = 1.40. I just can't see where that fits in.

Any suggestions?

Thinking about it again, if a constant amount of air is being compressed within the pump to 50 psig before being injected into the tyre (is this how the pump works?), then I think your original method is correct. But read carefully. The exit pressure is 50 psi gauge - what does that mean?

Thanks, mjc123.

So n is constant for the whole system (tire + pump), but the volume then changes (compresses).

Ahh, i think that gauge was the missing piece. I didn't know about the meaning of gauge and simply skipped over it without paying much attention.

With that information (P1 = P0 + 50) i get an answer of 174.5 - close enough to the one in the book.

aa_o said:
So n is constant for the whole system (tire + pump), but the volume then changes (compresses).
No, n is constant for the air in the pump. As I read it, the pump compresses an amount of air from atmospheric to 50 psig, then injects it into the tyre (presumably the valve opens at that pressure).

Likes aa_o
mjc123 said:
No, n is constant for the air in the pump. As I read it, the pump compresses an amount of air from atmospheric to 50 psig, then injects it into the tyre (presumably the valve opens at that pressure).
Yeah, that makes sense. I think there was a lot of assumptions that had to be made that wasn't explicitly stated in the problem.

But thanks a lot for the help!

1. What is Feynman problem 39-2?

Feynman problem 39-2 is a physics problem posed by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman in his book "The Feynman Lectures on Physics". It involves calculating the change in temperature of a gas during an adiabatic process.

2. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the change in internal energy of the system is solely due to work being done on or by the system.

3. How do you calculate the change in temperature during an adiabatic process?

The change in temperature during an adiabatic process can be calculated using the formula ΔT = -γ(Ti/Pi)VΔP, where γ is the ratio of specific heats, Ti and Pi are the initial temperature and pressure, V is the volume, and ΔP is the change in pressure.

4. What is the significance of Feynman problem 39-2?

Feynman problem 39-2 is significant because it demonstrates the principles of thermodynamics and the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume in an adiabatic process. It also showcases the problem-solving skills and creative thinking of Richard Feynman.

5. Can the calculations for Feynman problem 39-2 be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, the calculations for Feynman problem 39-2 can be applied in real-world situations, such as in the design of engines or other systems that involve adiabatic processes. It is also used in the study of atmospheric processes and the behavior of gases in different conditions.