Gas Cycle Process; Adiabatic, Isovolumetric and Isothermal

In summary, a monatomic gas goes through a process of adiabatic expansion, isovolumetric heating, and isothermal compression. The equations for P2 and P3 can be found in terms of P1 and \gamma, with \gamma being equal to 5/3. The net work done in one cycle can be found using the isotherm equation, and the solution for P3 can be found using the ideal gas law.
RCulling

Homework Statement

A monatomic gas has V1 P1 and T1 (volume pressure and temp) at state 1
The gas then goes through the following process

adiabatic expansion to stage 2 (exapands to twice its volume)
isovolumetric heating so it gets back to T1; stage 3
isothermal compression back to intial state

Homework Equations

- Sketch on pV diagram? (done this)
- derive expressions for P2 and P3 (in terms of p1 and [tex]\gamma[/tex]) ?
- derive expressions for T2 and T3 (in terms of T1 and [tex]\gamma[/tex])?

- expression for net work done in 1 cycle?
- is this an engine or refridgerator?

The Attempt at a Solution

i've managed to find

P2 = P1 / (2^[tex]\gamma[/tex])
and that [tex]\gamma[/tex] = 5/3

The 2 questions in bold are the ones really stressing me out; if someone could please put up some solutions or just point me in the right way that would be great :)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find p3 in terms of p1? What is the equation for an isotherm? Use it the same way you used the adiabatic equation to find the relation between the two pressures. Once you have p2 and p3 in terms of p1, use the ideal gas Law to get the temperatures.

The isotherm eqn; W = nRT*ln(vi/vf)
where vi = v1 and vf = v3?

That's the work for an isothermal process. How about p1V1=p3V3? A straightforward result of the ideal gas law.

Ah ofcourse :| .. Sounds like me to over think the simple(correct) answer

Thank you :)
- i'll post on here if i can't figure the rest

Last edited:

Related to Gas Cycle Process; Adiabatic, Isovolumetric and Isothermal

1. What is the gas cycle process?

The gas cycle process is a thermodynamic process in which a gas undergoes a series of changes in pressure, volume, and temperature. It is typically represented on a graph known as a pressure-volume (PV) diagram.

2. What is an adiabatic process in the gas cycle?

An adiabatic process in the gas cycle is one in which there is no transfer of heat between the gas and its surroundings. This means that the change in temperature and pressure of the gas is solely due to work being done on or by the gas.

3. What is an isovolumetric process in the gas cycle?

An isovolumetric process, also known as an isochoric process, is one in which the volume of the gas remains constant. This means that the gas cannot do any work on its surroundings and any change in pressure and temperature is solely due to heat transfer.

4. What is an isothermal process in the gas cycle?

An isothermal process is one in which the temperature of the gas remains constant. This means that any change in pressure and volume is solely due to work being done on or by the gas. This process is only possible if the gas is in thermal contact with a heat reservoir, such as a constant temperature bath.

5. How do the three processes (adiabatic, isovolumetric, and isothermal) differ in the gas cycle process?

The main difference between these three processes lies in the change in temperature of the gas. In an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer, so the temperature can change significantly. In an isovolumetric process, the temperature change is solely due to heat transfer, while in an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant. Additionally, the work done by or on the gas is also different in each process.