Fibonacci series and golden ratio

In summary, the fibonacci series is a sequence defined by a simple recursive formula, but has surprising connections to various mathematical concepts. It is also closely related to the golden ratio, represented by the symbol phi.
alexk307
I was wondering if someone could explain the fibonacci series and golden ratio to me, I'm very curious, but I don't have that much experience in math as a high school trig student.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Personally, I liked that [tex]\[\sqrt{1+\sqrt{1+\sqrt{1+\sqrt{1+\cdots}}}}
= \dfrac{1}{1 + \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{1}{1+...}}} = \phi\][/tex] or the golden ratio. Also, note (since phi is defined by those recursive sequences) that [tex]\frac{1}{\phi} = \phi -1[/tex]

What is the Fibonacci series?

The Fibonacci series is a mathematical sequence in which each number is the sum of the two preceding ones, starting from 0 and 1. The series goes like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, etc.

What is the golden ratio?

The golden ratio, also known as the divine proportion, is an irrational number approximately equal to 1.618. It is derived from the Fibonacci series and is considered to be aesthetically pleasing in art and architecture.

How are the Fibonacci series and golden ratio related?

The golden ratio is the ratio of two consecutive numbers in the Fibonacci series. As the numbers in the series get larger, the ratio between them approaches the golden ratio. This relationship can be seen in nature, art, and design.

What are some real-life applications of the Fibonacci series and golden ratio?

The Fibonacci series and golden ratio have been used in various fields such as architecture, music, and biology. They can be seen in the spiral patterns of seashells and the branching of trees, as well as in the design of buildings and musical compositions.

What is the significance of the Fibonacci series and golden ratio in mathematics?

The Fibonacci series and golden ratio have many applications in mathematics, including number theory, geometry, and calculus. They also have connections to other important mathematical concepts, such as the Lucas series and the Fibonacci spiral.