Field due to point charges - extremely strange error

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field on the x-axis due to two point charges, Q and -Q, located at (0,0,d) and (0,0,-d) respectively. The conversation includes discussing the equations and steps used in solving the problem, as well as potential errors and ways to simplify the solution.
Ngineer

Homework Statement

Find electric field anywhere on the x-axis due two two point charges
Q at (0,0,d)
-Q at (0,0,-d)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

AttachedSomehow I am not getting the correct answer. I reviewed my steps with 4 people and we could not find the error!

I'm starting to think I've ruined the laws of physics.

Attachments

• WP_20141010_002.jpg
    WP_20141010_002.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 350
Physics news on Phys.org
Because you know one charge to be -Q then I would expect on the diagram you'd show its field line vector directed towards the charge.

Ngineer said:

Homework Statement

Find electric field anywhere on the x-axis due two two point charges
Q at (0,0,d)
-Q at (0,0,-d)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

AttachedSomehow I am not getting the correct answer. I reviewed my steps with 4 people and we could not find the error!

I'm starting to think I've ruined the laws of physics.

What is the z-component of E?

N.O. - The change in sign and direction was accounted for on the second line.
berkeman - the answer I got was -2q/4piEo * 1/(x2 + d2) az which is different from the "correct" answer by a factor of d/(x2 + d2)

It is hard to read that image.

You set up a vector and then write "=0." If that would be true, there would be nothing left to calculate.

Where do you calculate the z-component of your force?

Please discard that =0

I rewrote the solution for clarity

Attachments

• WP_20141010_004.jpg
    WP_20141010_004.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 348
P/S. There a missing 2 one line before the end but it should be obvious

I don't see what you did in the numerator between the first and second line. Your new numerator has both a different magnitude and direction.
You can make this way easier by combining the fractions and sorting the numerator by x and z components.

Related to Field due to point charges - extremely strange error

What causes the "extremely strange error" in the field due to point charges?

The extremely strange error in the field due to point charges is typically caused by a miscalculation or mismeasurement of the distance between the point charges. This can result in a significant difference in the calculated field strength and direction.

How can I avoid encountering this error when calculating field due to point charges?

To avoid encountering this error, it is important to carefully measure and calculate the distance between the point charges. Double checking calculations and using precise measurement tools can also help to minimize the chances of encountering this error.

Can this error be corrected or fixed?

Yes, this error can be corrected by identifying and correcting the miscalculation or mismeasurement of the distance between the point charges. It is important to carefully review the calculations and measurements to ensure accuracy.

Are there any other factors that can contribute to this error?

In addition to miscalculations or mismeasurements, other factors such as external magnetic or electric fields, interference from nearby objects, or faulty equipment can also contribute to this error. It is important to carefully consider all potential factors when encountering this error.

How does this error impact the overall accuracy of the field calculation?

This error can significantly impact the accuracy of the field calculation, as even a small difference in the distance between the point charges can result in a significant difference in the calculated field strength and direction. It is important to identify and correct this error to ensure accurate results.