Field of a Trianglular Solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the magnetic field is strongest at point Y, and the answer is supposedly yes. However, the speaker has doubts about this answer and provides a detailed explanation using Maxwell's equations to show that the field inside the triangle is actually zero. They also mention the importance of considering the special case of an equilateral triangle for this question.
Taulant Sholla
Homework Statement
A coil of wire is formed into the shape of an isosceles triangle, as depicted in the diagram. Which of the following best describes the magnetic field inside the triangle?
Relevant Equations
b=uni
No calculators or equations are needed for this question. The correct answer is supposedly "The field is strongest at point Y" and I have no idea why.

solenoid triangle.jpg

I even coughed-up the following, but still can't see how this is the right answer.
attempt.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing this might be an incorrect answer by the lack of responses? I certainly can't see a way at this choice is correct. Ideas?

You know that for an infinite solenoid of radius ##R## the field is zero at distance ##r>R## from the axis. No solenoid is infinite, so at ##r>R## the magnetic field is approximately zero. The approximation becomes better and the field is closer to zero the closer you come to the solenoid. This is shown graphically in the pictures you scared up. Point Y is farthest from all solenoids therefore you are supposed to conclude that the field is strongest there, when you add the fields as vectors, where the infinite solenoid approximation is worst.

Having said that, let's see what Maxwell's equations have to say about this. One of these equations says that magnetic field lines form closed loops. Another one, a.k.a. Ampere's law says that if you take a line integral around a closed loop, the result is proportional to the current enclosed by the loop. So let's draw an arrow representing the magnetic field at point Y. It's part of a closed loop. Let's draw it as a closed oriented magnetic field line loop entirely inside the triangle. The integral ##\oint \vec B \cdot d\vec l## cannot be zero because the magnetic field is always along the contour, yet there is no current cutting through the plane of the loop. This is a contradiction. My initial thought when I saw this was that the field inside the triangle is zero.

Taulant Sholla said:
I'm guessing this might be an incorrect answer by the lack of responses? I certainly can't see a way at this choice is correct. Ideas?
Please be more patient. It's Sunday after all.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and etotheipi
kuruman said:
My initial thought when I saw this was that the field inside the triangle is zero.
Certainly, if we take the special case of an equilateral triangle and set Y at the centre then the field there is zero by symmetry.
So if the field is minimum at Y then it is also true that the field is zero everywhere in the triangle.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
kuruman said:
You know that for an infinite solenoid of radius ##R## the field is zero at distance ##r>R## from the axis. No solenoid is infinite, so at ##r>R## the magnetic field is approximately zero. The approximation becomes better and the field is closer to zero the closer you come to the solenoid. This is shown graphically in the pictures you scared up. Point Y is farthest from all solenoids therefore you are supposed to conclude that the field is strongest there, when you add the fields as vectors, where the infinite solenoid approximation is worst.

Having said that, let's see what Maxwell's equations have to say about this. One of these equations says that magnetic field lines form closed loops. Another one, a.k.a. Ampere's law says that if you take a line integral around a closed loop, the result is proportional to the current enclosed by the loop. So let's draw an arrow representing the magnetic field at point Y. It's part of a closed loop. Let's draw it as a closed oriented magnetic field line loop entirely inside the triangle. The integral ##\oint \vec B \cdot d\vec l## cannot be zero because the magnetic field is always along the contour, yet there is no current cutting through the plane of the loop. This is a contradiction. My initial thought when I saw this was that the field inside the triangle is zero.Please be more patient. It's Sunday after all.

Thank you - very thought-provoking!

1. What is a triangular solenoid?

A triangular solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a wire coil wound in the shape of a triangle. It produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through the coil.

2. How is the field of a triangular solenoid calculated?

The field of a triangular solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * N * I, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current passing through the coil.

3. What factors affect the strength of the field in a triangular solenoid?

The strength of the field in a triangular solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through the coil, and the permeability of the material inside the coil. The distance between the coil and the point at which the field is measured also plays a role.

4. What are some real-world applications of triangular solenoids?

Triangular solenoids are commonly used in electronic devices such as motors, generators, and relays. They are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and in particle accelerators.

5. How does the field of a triangular solenoid differ from that of a regular solenoid?

The field of a triangular solenoid is more complex compared to that of a regular solenoid. It has a non-uniform field distribution and the direction of the field changes depending on the location within the solenoid. This makes it useful for certain applications, such as creating a magnetic field with a specific shape.