Fight against Microsoft Monopoly

• Thread starter mishrashubham
  • Start date
In summary, Microsoft has announced that if computer makers wish to distribute machines with the Windows 8 compatibility logo, they will have to implement a measure called "Secure Boot." However, it is currently up for grabs whether this technology will live up to its name, or will instead earn the name Restricted Boot.
mishrashubham
This makes me sick. Apparently Fedora (Red Hat) has given in and has agreed to pay Verisign. Ubuntu (Canonical) is making it's own key. But the issue isn't about money as much it is about freedom.

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement

Microsoft has announced that if computer makers wish to distribute machines with the Windows 8 compatibility logo, they will have to implement a measure called "Secure Boot." However, it is currently up for grabs whether this technology will live up to its name, or will instead earn the name Restricted Boot.

When done correctly, "Secure Boot" is designed to protect against malware by preventing computers from loading unauthorized binary programs when booting. In practice, this means that computers implementing it won't boot unauthorized operating systems -- including initially authorized systems that have been modified without being re-approved.

This could be a feature deserving of the name, as long as the user is able to authorize the programs she wants to use, so she can run free software written and modified by herself or people she trusts. However, we are concerned that Microsoft and hardware manufacturers will implement these boot restrictions in a way that will prevent users from booting anything other than Windows. In this case, we are better off calling the technology Restricted Boot, since such a requirement would be a disastrous restriction on computer users and not a security feature at all.

Please add your name to the following statement, to show computer manufacturers, governments, and Microsoft that you care about this freedom and will work to protect it...

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm tired of rootkits. I fully support the technology.

Allowing users to override it program-by-program largely defeats the purpose of it.

Allowing whole new os's to be booted-? Pay the fee if you want to play.

I won't buy such machines. If I buy a machine, I require complete right over it.

Antiphon said:
Allowing whole new os's to be booted-? Pay the fee if you want to play.

Pay the fee for what ?

You're free not to buy these systems. I don't really see the problem. For the vast majority of users this is a feature, for the rest, they can buy something else.

Microsoft has already said that for Non-ARM based machines that you could turn it off in UEFI.

This could be a feature deserving of the name, as long as the user is able to authorize the programs she wants to use, so she can run free software written and modified by herself or people she trusts.
How odd - "she".
I always find it odd when people write she in places where it obvious that the majority of readers are going to be males.

It does seem like it could end up being a slippery slope to becoming a pain in the bottom to run other OS's though.

I don't undesrstand your logic. Why do you want to buy a computer designed to run windows, and then complain because that's what it does?

If you want a bare bones system,, get one. You probably won't find any for sale in big computer stores, but I'm sure the Linux community has enough expertise to tell you where to get one, or how to build your own.

Suppose you share a laptop. And the other person wants Windows. Very few laptops come with Linux pre-installed, so we probably want to buy a laptop with Windows and install Linux. But you can't. (OK, I know you can. But seriously. Changing BIOS settings? Not something I'd like to do to simply get linux boot)

dalcde said:
Suppose you share a laptop. And the other person wants Windows. Very few laptops come with Linux pre-installed, so we probably want to buy a laptop with Windows and install Linux. But you can't. (OK, I know you can. But seriously. Changing BIOS settings? Not something I'd like to do to simply get linux boot)

Exactly. People say that you have the option of switching it off. But to do that for a layman would be tedious and troublesome, so much so that he might let go of the effort to install linux altogether. As it is, few people use linux. Now even those who might just want to "try it out" would be highly discouraged to do so. Not to mention the FUD that comes with it "linux is insecure, microsoft isn't"

If you're unsure about keeping Linux installed permanently you can just run it through VMWare for a while.

What is the Microsoft Monopoly?

The Microsoft Monopoly refers to the dominant market position and control of the software industry that Microsoft has held for many years. It is the result of Microsoft's business practices and anti-competitive behavior, which have led to limited competition and consumer choice.

Why is the fight against the Microsoft Monopoly important?

The fight against the Microsoft Monopoly is important because it has a significant impact on the technology industry and consumers. By controlling a large portion of the software market, Microsoft has the power to dictate prices, limit innovation, and stifle competition. This can lead to higher prices for consumers and less variety in products and services.

What actions have been taken to combat the Microsoft Monopoly?

Over the years, various legal actions have been taken to combat the Microsoft Monopoly, including antitrust lawsuits and government investigations. In 2001, Microsoft was found to be in violation of antitrust laws and was ordered to be split into two separate companies, but this decision was later overturned. In recent years, there have also been efforts to promote open-source software and alternative operating systems to decrease Microsoft's dominance.

What are the potential consequences of the Microsoft Monopoly?

The consequences of the Microsoft Monopoly can include higher prices for consumers, limited innovation, and decreased competition. It can also discourage smaller software companies from entering the market and hinder the development of new technologies. Additionally, the control of such a large portion of the software industry by one company can have a negative impact on the overall economy.

Is there a solution to the Microsoft Monopoly?

While there is no simple solution to the Microsoft Monopoly, there are steps that can be taken to promote fair competition and reduce their dominance. This includes enforcing antitrust laws, promoting open-source software, and supporting alternative operating systems. It is also important for consumers to be aware of their choices and support companies that offer alternatives to Microsoft products.