Figuring out higher loop corrections

• Thread starter Jim Kata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop
In summary: This can be determined from the functional integral by considering the terms that involve the 4-point function at the 2-loop level.
Jim Kata
Let's say I'm trying to calculate the vacuum polarization to the two loop level for QED, how do I do that from a path integral formalism? As in how do I know which Feynman diagrams to calculate?

I would have a path integral like this.

[tex]- i\Delta _{\mu x,\tau y} = \left\langle {T\{ A_\mu (x)A_\tau (y)} \right\rangle = \frac{{\int {\prod\limits_{z,m} {da_m (z)a_\mu (x)a_\tau (y)\exp \left( {i - \frac{1}
{2}\int {d^4 zd^4 wa^\xi (z)a^\zeta (w)D_{z\xi ,w\zeta } } } \right)\exp \left( {\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{( - 1)^{n + 1} }}
{n}} Tr(F^{ - 1} G)^n } \right)} } }}
{{\int {\prod\limits_{z,m} {da_m (z)\exp \left( {i - \frac{1}
{2}\int {d^4 zd^4 wa^\xi (z)a^\zeta (w)D_{z\xi ,w\zeta } } } \right)\exp \left( {\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{( - 1)^{n + 1} }}
{n}} Tr(F^{ - 1} G)^n } \right)} } }}[/tex]

where

[tex]F^{ - 1} (x,y) = \int {\frac{{d^4 k}}
{{(2\pi )^4 }}} \frac{{ - \gamma ^0 }}
{{i\gamma ^\mu k_\mu + m - i\varepsilon }}e^{ik \cdot (x - y)}[/tex]

[tex]D_{x\mu ,y\nu } = \left[ {\eta _{\mu \nu } \frac{{\partial ^2 }}
{{\partial x^\rho \partial x_\rho }}\delta ^4 (x - y) + i\varepsilon } \right][/tex]

[tex]G(x,y) = ie\gamma ^0 \gamma ^\mu a_\mu (x)\delta ^4 (x - y)[/tex]

At the one loop level I just take the quadratic term from this sum below and that's my 1PI.

[tex]\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{( - 1)^{n + 1} }}
{n}}Tr(F^{ - 1} G)^n[/tex]

According to Itzyskon and Zuber there are 8 diagrams (including renormalization graphs) that must be calculated at the 2 loop level to calculate the vacuum polarization. My question how do you determine which graphs to calculate? It should follow from this functional integral, but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!The answer to this question lies in the fact that the vacuum polarization is a 1PI (one-particle irreducible) diagram. This means that you need to calculate all diagrams that are connected and cannot be disconnected by cutting a single line. In diagrammatic terms, this means that you need to calculate the 4-point function at the 2-loop level. Therefore, the 8 diagrams you mentioned are the ones that need to be calculated in order to obtain the vacuum polarization.

Related to Figuring out higher loop corrections

1. What are higher loop corrections?

Higher loop corrections are terms in a mathematical or physical calculation that account for more complicated interactions or effects between particles or systems. In particle physics, they often refer to loops of virtual particles that contribute to the overall behavior of a system.

2. Why is it important to figure out higher loop corrections?

Higher loop corrections are necessary to accurately describe the behavior of systems at very small scales, such as in particle physics. They can significantly affect the results of calculations and experiments, and ignoring them can lead to incorrect predictions or interpretations of data.

3. How do scientists calculate higher loop corrections?

Calculating higher loop corrections involves using advanced mathematical techniques, such as Feynman diagrams, to describe the interactions between particles. This often involves complex integrals and equations that can be solved using computer simulations or simulations.

4. Can higher loop corrections be experimentally observed?

No, higher loop corrections cannot be directly observed in experiments because they involve virtual particles that do not directly interact with detectors. However, their effects can be seen indirectly through the behavior of particles and systems in experiments.

5. How do higher loop corrections impact our understanding of the universe?

Higher loop corrections are essential in our pursuit to understand the fundamental laws of the universe. By accurately accounting for these corrections, scientists can make precise predictions about the behavior of particles and systems, allowing us to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions that govern our world.