Filament lamp I/V characteristics lab problem.

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with finding the resistance of a filament lamp based on measurements taken in an experiment. They are unsure if they should use a square or linear fit and are also unsure about the error in their measurements. The speaker also mentions that the resistance is always the ratio of voltage to current, but this may not apply for non-Ohmic devices like light bulbs. They ask for clarification on the error in their potential difference and current measurements.
karydopita

Homework Statement

i have to have my lab report ready in the next 1 hour and i am stuck. in my experiment we had a varied power supply , an ammeter and a voltmetter both with small error (and digital). i have taken about 15 measurements of potential difference and its respective current. the circuit had in one case a resitor and in the other case a filament lamp. the resistor is an easy one as ohm's law is applied so i sketch the graph with my logger pro and take the 1/slope(gradient) to find R. my problem however is when it comes to the filament lamp. i am not sure if i should use a square or a linear or some other fit. also i don't know whatresult from the graph should i use to find resistance if the graph isn't linear. also in a filament lamp which is a non ohmic device can i use R=V/I? please help me out with this one.
in general: can someone help me with finding the resistance of a filament lamp based on the measurements i have take?
and also can someone tell me what the error is when i have +/- 0.01 Volts for potential differnce and +/- 0.1 mA (NOT Amber)?
thank you very much...

Physics news on Phys.org
The resistance is always the ratio V/I. If that ratio is independent of V, then the material is known as "Ohmic". Light bulbs are notoriously non-Ohmic as their resistivity (and hence their resistance) depends on temperature and they get very hot. If you make a plot of V/I vs. V for a light bulb, you do not get a straight line and you should not attempt to fit a straight line because the results will be meaningless.
can someone tell me what the error is when i have +/- 0.01 Volts for potential differnce and +/- 0.1 mA (NOT Amber)?
I am not sure what you are asking here. The error in what? Who is Amber?

Related to Filament lamp I/V characteristics lab problem.

1. What is a filament lamp?

A filament lamp is a type of electric light that uses a thin wire, or filament, made of a material such as tungsten to produce light when an electrical current is passed through it.

2. What are I/V characteristics?

I/V characteristics, also known as current-voltage characteristics, are a graphical representation of the relationship between the current (I) and voltage (V) in an electrical circuit. This helps to understand the behavior and properties of different components in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a filament lamp I/V characteristics lab problem?

The purpose of a filament lamp I/V characteristics lab problem is to investigate the behavior of a filament lamp and how it responds to changes in voltage and current. This can help in understanding the working principle of the lamp and its practical application in circuits.

4. How is the I/V characteristics of a filament lamp measured?

The I/V characteristics of a filament lamp can be measured by using a voltmeter and ammeter to measure the voltage and current at different points while varying the input voltage. The data can then be plotted on a graph to visualize the relationship between current and voltage.

5. What factors affect the I/V characteristics of a filament lamp?

The I/V characteristics of a filament lamp can be affected by various factors such as the temperature of the filament, the type and thickness of the filament wire, and the surrounding environment. As the temperature of the filament increases, the resistance of the wire also increases, resulting in a change in the I/V characteristics.