Filling in piecewise function from given graph

In summary, the conversation is about understanding a question related to piecewise functions and finding the equation that passes through two given points. The speaker suggests starting with the easier parts of the question and mentions that the concept of functions is typically covered in the first chapter of calculus books.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

h5BtGnC.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to do here. I was thinking maybe the y y1 = m(x x1)? I am having trouble understanding this question. I know what piecewise functions are but filling this in is proving difficult.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to do here. I was thinking maybe the y y1 = m(x x1)? I am having trouble understanding this question. I know what piecewise functions are but filling this in is proving difficult.
Start with x<=-2. What is the value of y at x=-3? What is its value at x=-2. What equation of the form you suggest passes through those two points?

Lift your morale by doing the easy parts first. It is pretty clear on the graph what x and f(x) (which maybe you think of as the 'y axis') are meant to be at the points represented by blobs. You can't have any difficulty then in knowing what f(x) is when x ≥ 1 surely?

Edit :I am quite often surprised when students come here asking questions about what is in the first section of Chapter 1 of every book on the subject. This looks like the explanation of what is meant by 'a function' which is typically in that chapter of every book on calculus. 50:1 a very similar example is at the end of that first section in your book.

Last edited:

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different expressions or rules for different parts of its domain. In other words, the function is broken into different "pieces" that each have their own specific equation or rule.

2. How do I identify the different pieces of a piecewise function from a given graph?

The different pieces of a piecewise function can be identified by looking at the different sections or intervals on the graph. Each section will have its own equation or rule that defines the function within that interval.

3. Can a piecewise function be continuous?

Yes, a piecewise function can be continuous if the different pieces are connected at their endpoints and there are no gaps or jumps in the graph.

4. How do I fill in a piecewise function from a given graph?

To fill in a piecewise function from a given graph, you will need to identify the different pieces of the function and their corresponding equations or rules. Then, you can write the function as a combination of these pieces, using the appropriate notation (e.g. using "if" or "else" statements).

5. Are there any limitations to using piecewise functions?

One limitation of piecewise functions is that they can become complicated and difficult to work with if there are too many pieces or intervals. Additionally, they may not always accurately represent the behavior of a real-world situation, as they are only defined for specific intervals and not continuous throughout the entire domain.