Final Net Charge for +23.62µC & 12.82 x 10^{14} Electrons

In summary, an item with a net positive charge of +23.62µC has 12.82 x 10^{14} electrons transferred to it, resulting in a final net charge that is negative and can be calculated by subtracting the original positive charge from the total charge of the transferred electrons. The correct answer is b. -181.5µC.
Sinusoidal

Homework Statement

An item starts with a net positive charge of +23.62µC. A total of 12.82 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] electrons are transferred to the object. What is the final net charge?

a. +228.7µC b. -181.5µC c. -25.67µC d. +181.5µC

Homework Equations

q=ne

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused on how to solve this.

I was thinking n=12.82 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] electrons, but I don't know which variable +23.62µC would be. Is e supposed to always equal 1.6 x 10[tex]^{-19}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you transfer electrons to a positively charged body its net positive charge decreases. If the net negative charge of the transferred electrons is more than the positive charge on the body, the body becomes negatively charged.
Yes. e supposed to always equal 1.6 x 10LaTeX Code: ^{-19}

So what am I solving for here? Am I solving for q? Do I need to use the q=ne equation?

so n=12.82 x 10[tex]^{14}[/tex] electrons, and e=1.6 x 10[tex]^{-19}[/tex]. What is 23.62µC?

What is the total charge on 12.82X10^14 electrons? It will be negative. From this remove the original positive charge 23.64 micro C. The twill be the remaining charge on the item.

Related to Final Net Charge for +23.62µC & 12.82 x 10^{14} Electrons

1. What is the formula for calculating final net charge?

The formula for calculating final net charge is Q = ne, where Q is the final net charge, n is the number of electrons, and e is the charge of one electron.

2. How do you calculate the final net charge for a given number of electrons?

To calculate the final net charge, you need to know the number of electrons and the charge of one electron. You can then use the formula Q = ne to find the final net charge.

3. What is the charge of one electron?

The charge of one electron is approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

4. Can you explain the units used in the final net charge calculation?

The unit for charge is coulombs, which is equal to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons. In this case, the final net charge is given in microcoulombs (µC), which is equal to 1 x 10^-6 coulombs.

5. How do you convert from microcoulombs to coulombs?

To convert from microcoulombs to coulombs, you need to multiply the value in microcoulombs by 1 x 10^-6. For example, to convert 23.62 µC to coulombs, you would multiply 23.62 by 1 x 10^-6, which would give you a final net charge of 2.362 x 10^-5 coulombs.