Final temperature after calories are added

In summary, the problem involves a 60.5g piece of lead at 18.6oC and the addition of 328 cal of heat. The equation Q=mCdeltaT was attempted, but the final temperature could not be solved for. The user is asking for assistance in determining the correct equation and how to incorporate the 328 cal.
Knfoster

Homework Statement

A 60.5g piece of lead is at 18.6oC. If 328 cal of heat is added to the lead, what is its final temperature? Do not enter units.

Homework Equations

I was trying to use 328 as the Q value and solve for delta T
Q=mCdelta T
HOWEVER, this wasn't working.

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone please explain to me what equation I need to use and how the 328 cal are used? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your calculation? You say you solved for deltaT but you need to go one step further and find the final temperature. If you did that, are you making sure your units are consistent? What are you using for C?

I would recommend using the specific heat capacity equation, Q = mcΔT, to solve for the final temperature. The 328 cal of heat added is the Q value in this equation, and m is the mass of the lead (60.5g). The specific heat capacity of lead can be found in a reference table or online. By rearranging the equation to solve for ΔT, you can then plug in the known values and calculate the final temperature of the lead. It is important to note that the units for temperature must be in Kelvin (K) for this equation to work. I hope this helps!

1. What is the definition of "final temperature" when discussing calories?

The final temperature in this context refers to the temperature of a substance after a certain amount of calories have been added to it.

2. How is the final temperature determined when adding calories to a substance?

The final temperature is determined by the specific heat capacity of the substance, the amount of calories added, and the initial temperature of the substance. These factors are used in a formula to calculate the final temperature.

3. Does the type of substance affect the final temperature after adding calories?

Yes, different substances have different specific heat capacities, which means they require different amounts of energy (calories) to change their temperature by a certain degree. Therefore, the type of substance does affect the final temperature after adding calories.

4. How do calories affect the final temperature of a substance?

Calories are a unit of measurement for energy, and when added to a substance, they increase the energy of the molecules within the substance. This increase in energy leads to a rise in temperature, resulting in a higher final temperature.

5. Is there a limit to how much the final temperature can increase when adding calories?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the final temperature can increase when adding calories. This is because the specific heat capacity of a substance is finite, meaning there is a maximum amount of energy it can absorb before reaching its melting or boiling point.