Final Temperature and Time to Reach it When Adding Ice to Rum and Coke

• Thread starter Kbenjamin827
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary: What do you mean "check the quantities of heat involved in getting the materials from their initial temperatures to the transition temperature (0C)?
Kbenjamin827

Homework Statement

we have 42 grams of rum with a specific heat of 1.7 and 113 grams of coke with a specific heat of .85 and both liquids are room temperature (25 degrees Celsius). when you add 85 grams of ice (-10 degrees Celsius) into this mix, what will the final temperature be and how long will it take to reach that temperature?

Homework Equations

mC(temperature), where m is mass in grams and C is the specific heat.

The Attempt at a Solution

mC(temp of ice) + m(latent) + mC(temperature of melted ice) = mC(temp of rum) + mC(temp of coke)

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't evolved your attempt much. What is your strategy? What have you tried? We need to see more of your efforts.

Is this a real homework problem, including how long it takes to reach the final temperature? Also, do you feel that all the ice is going to melt?

You have written an equation down, but I don't see any answer. Let's see some numbers.

Chet

Kbenjamin827 said:

Homework Statement

we have 42 grams of rum with a specific heat of 1.7 and 113 grams of coke with a specific heat of .85 and both liquids are room temperature (25 degrees Celsius). when you add 85 grams of ice (-10 degrees Celsius) into this mix, what will the final temperature be and how long will it take to reach that temperature?

Homework Equations

mC(temperature), where m is mass in grams and C is the specific heat.

The Attempt at a Solution

mC(temp of ice) + m(latent) + mC(temperature of melted ice) = mC(temp of rum) + mC(temp of coke)
Specific heat values have units. What are the units of 1.7 and 0.85?

SteamKing said:
Specific heat values have units. What are the units of 1.7 and 0.85?
Cal/gram

gneill said:
You haven't evolved your attempt much. What is your strategy? What have you tried? We need to see more of your efforts.
I did heat gained = heat lost

Chestermiller said:
Is this a real homework problem, including how long it takes to reach the final temperature? Also, do you feel that all the ice is going to melt?

You have written an equation down, but I don't see any answer. Let's see some numbers.

Chet
I got approximately -2.08 degrees, so I guess the ice doesn't fully melt

Kbenjamin827 said:
I got approximately -2.08 degrees, so I guess the ice doesn't fully melt
You need to show your attempt in detail. Show your calculations, explain what your steps are.
We are here to help, but we won't do your homework for you.

Otherwise the thread will be closed.

gneill said:
You need to show your attempt in detail. Show your calculations, explain what your steps are.
We are here to help, but we won't do your homework for you.

Otherwise the thread will be closed.

Just realized I made a mistake in my calculations in my picture, it is -11 not -2 :/

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 359
This is a problem where you can't write a single equation to solve for the final state. Since at least one of the substances involved (the water ice) has the potential for a state change (melting) you need to proceed in stages and make some decisions along the way as to what specific heats or heats of fusion are involved. Since the "bump in the road" is the melting of ice, check the quantities of heat involved in getting the materials from their initial temperatures to the transition temperature (0C).

Start by calculating how much heat would be required to raise the ice temperature to the freezing point without melting it and how much heat would need to be extracted from the fluids (in total) to bring them to the same temperature (0C).

What do you find? How do they compare? Can you plan a next step based on these values?

gneill said:
This is a problem where you can't write a single equation to solve for the final state. Since at least one of the substances involved (the water ice) has the potential for a state change (melting) you need to proceed in stages and make some decisions along the way as to what specific heats or heats of fusion are involved. Since the "bump in the road" is the melting of ice, check the quantities of heat involved in getting the materials from their initial temperatures to the transition temperature (0C).

Start by calculating how much heat would be required to raise the ice temperature to the freezing point without melting it and how much heat would need to be extracted from the fluids (in total) to bring them to the same temperature (0C).

What do you find? How do they compare? Can you plan a next step based on these values?
I calculated how much it would take to go from -10 to 0, which is about 450, and to melt it would be about 26000. The Coke and run out out about 4000, so it's enough to bring it to 0 but not to melt the ice. I'm not sure how to find the time it takes for the environment to melt the ice. I figured I'd find the final temperature of everything mixed together before I find how it takes for the rum Coke and now water to get to 25 degrees.

Kbenjamin827 said:
I calculated how much it would take to go from -10 to 0, which is about 450, and to melt it would be about 26000. The Coke and run out out about 4000, so it's enough to bring it to 0 but not to melt the ice. I'm not sure how to find the time it takes for the environment to melt the ice. I figured I'd find the final temperature of everything mixed together before I find how it takes for the rum Coke and now water to get to 25 degrees.
Can you show your calculations? Be sure to include units for everything. Your value for the heat required to bring the ice from -10C to 0C, "about 450", for example means nothing without units. What specific heat value are you using for ice? State all your specific heat values with units.

1. How does the type of ice affect the temperature of a drink?

The type of ice used can affect the temperature of a drink in several ways. Clear, solid ice cubes will cool a drink more slowly than crushed or shaved ice, as they have less surface area. However, clear ice will also melt more slowly, meaning the drink will stay colder for longer. On the other hand, crushed or shaved ice will cool a drink more quickly due to its larger surface area, but will also melt faster, diluting the drink.

2. Does the shape of the ice affect the taste of a drink?

Yes, the shape of the ice can affect the taste of a drink. Smaller ice cubes or crushed ice will cool the drink more quickly, but can also melt faster and dilute the flavor. Larger ice cubes can take longer to cool a drink, but will melt more slowly and have less impact on the flavor. Additionally, irregularly shaped ice, such as ice spheres, can have less surface area and therefore melt more slowly, resulting in a less diluted drink.

3. How does the amount of ice used affect the taste of a drink?

The amount of ice used can greatly affect the taste of a drink. Too much ice can result in a drink becoming too diluted and losing its intended flavor. However, not using enough ice can result in a drink becoming warm too quickly and losing its refreshing qualities. The general rule of thumb is to use enough ice to fill the glass or container about three-quarters full.

4. Can using ice affect the texture of a drink?

Yes, using ice can affect the texture of a drink. Adding ice to a drink can give it a smoother, more velvety texture, as the ice helps to emulsify any ingredients in the drink. This is especially true for blended drinks, such as smoothies or frozen cocktails, where the ice helps to create a creamy texture.

5. Does the quality of the ice affect the overall quality of a drink?

Yes, the quality of the ice can greatly impact the overall quality of a drink. Ice that is made with impure or unfiltered water can affect the taste of a drink, as well as potentially introducing harmful bacteria. In addition, old or stale ice can also negatively affect the taste of a drink. It is important to use fresh, clean ice when making drinks to ensure the best quality and taste.