Final temperature of the water after adding heat?

In summary, to find the final temperature of the water after adding 1500 cal of heat, we use the equation Q=mcΔT and plug in the known variables. This results in a change in temperature of 25.5ºC, which when added to the initial temperature of 22.5ºC, gives a final temperature of 48ºC.
lavendly

Homework Statement

You add 1500 cal of heat to a cup of water at 22.5ºC. The water has a mass of 500.0g. What is the final temperature of the water?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

so i tried solving it by finding the energy of the water
Q=(500g)(1.0cal/g)(22.5ºC)
Q=11250 cals

then i tried adding 11250 cals to the 1500 cals that was added onto it from the problem and got 12750 cals.

using 12750 cals as Q, i set up Q=mcΔT and plugged in all the known variables and solved for change in T, which was 25.5ºC. I took this change in T and added it to the initial temperature of 22.5ºC, and got 48ºC for the final temperature of the water. Is that right? I didn't get an answer sheet and I have a test tomorrow so I have no idea if I'm doing this right or not

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not ##\Delta T## that is 22.5 °C - it is the initial temperature. You are asked to find the final temperature. What you are computing would be the heat required to heat the water by 22.5 °C from where it was initially.

A calorie is the amount of heat needed to increase the temperature of 1g of water by 1 degree, the problem is only to know the definition and simple arithmetic.

What is the final temperature of the water after adding heat?

The final temperature of the water after adding heat depends on several factors, including the initial temperature of the water, the amount of heat added, and the properties of the container holding the water.

How can I calculate the final temperature of the water after adding heat?

To calculate the final temperature of the water after adding heat, you can use the formula Q = m * c * ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat added, m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. It is approximately 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius.

Does the type of container affect the final temperature of the water after adding heat?

Yes, the type of container can affect the final temperature of the water after adding heat. Materials with higher thermal conductivity, such as metal, will transfer heat more efficiently than materials with lower thermal conductivity, such as plastic. This can result in a different final temperature of the water.

What other factors can affect the final temperature of the water after adding heat?

Other factors that can affect the final temperature of the water after adding heat include the amount of water, the amount of heat added, and the rate at which heat is added. Additionally, environmental factors such as air temperature and humidity can also play a role in the final temperature of the water.