Final velocity and frictional force?

In summary, a jet fighter with two engines generating 70,000 N of thrust each has an acceleration of 4.66 m/s squared when its mass is 15,000 kg. The frictional force on the jet can be calculated using the final velocity of 240 m/s and a differential equation that takes into account the proportional relationship between velocity and frictional force.
emmyology

Homework Statement

a) A jet fighter has two engines each generating 70,000 N of thrust. What is the acceleration of the 15,000 kg jet?

b) The above jet reaches a final velocity of 240 m/s. What is the frictional force on the jet?

Homework Equations

Ff= Fn(mew?)
F=MA
?

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so for the first part (a) I got 4.66 m/s squared as my acceleration. I need to know how to get the answer for part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there, welcome to the forum.
Since the question deals with a flying object, I assume the frictional force mentioned is one of the viscuous property that requires the solution of a differential equation.
If you care for it, and your level of studies satisfies it, it goes something likes this:
A frictional force, acting in a medium such as air, is typically proportional to the velocity, like -k*v, so we get:
[itex]
\large
F-kv(t) = mv'(t)
[/itex]
Which leads to the general solution:(assuming the jet started off at zero initial speed)
[itex]
\large
v(t)=\frac{F}{k}(1-e^{-\frac{kt}{m}})
[/itex]
The final velocity is obtained somewhere in infinity, or V(final) = F/k;
You're given V_final, so you can easily find the constant k, which will lead you to the frictional force, -k*v, your mu.
Hope that helps,
Daniel

But the jet has two engines...part a.

I don't know what level class you are taking but the answer may be very simple for part b. The jet ceases to accelerate when the resistance due to air friction equals the thrust of the TWO engines.

LawrenceC said:
But the jet has two engines...part a.
I think the question, as posited by the author, implied that:
A jet fighter has two engines each generating 70,000 N of thrust
cumulatively, in unison, all in all, 7*10^4 N;
As for the friction, I doubt the resistive force is constant, in such a query as this.
Daniel

Welcome to PF, emmyology! :smile:

I tend to agree with LawrenceC.
For the answer to (a) I think you need to consider that there are two engines...
And for the answer to (b) I'm also interpreting the question as meaning the friction when the final velocity is reached, at which time the force of friction exactly cancels the force of the two engines.

@danielakkerma: I believe friction with air is typically modeled as being proportional to the square of the velocity.

Thanks for clearing that up, I hope I didn't convolute things...
As for the resistance, my initial thoughts leaned towards Stoke's law, whose drag is proportional to the velocity itself, given that the speeds here are not quite so massive. But I could be wrong of course, and I am glad you can point us in the proper direction; I wish we could hear from the OP and the respective elucidations which might entail.
Daniel

Related to Final velocity and frictional force?

1. What is final velocity and how is it calculated?

Final velocity is the speed of an object at a specific point in time, after it has undergone a change in velocity due to an external force. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How does frictional force affect an object's final velocity?

Frictional force is a resistive force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. It can decrease an object's final velocity by slowing it down. The amount of frictional force depends on the type of surface the object is moving on and the force applied to the object.

3. Can frictional force ever increase an object's final velocity?

In some cases, frictional force can increase an object's final velocity. This occurs when the object is moving in the same direction as the frictional force, such as when a car is driving down a hill. In this case, the frictional force acts as a push, increasing the object's speed.

4. How can the coefficient of friction be used to calculate the frictional force?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It can be used to calculate the frictional force by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force, which is the force that presses the two surfaces together.

5. How does the surface area of an object affect the frictional force?

The surface area of an object has a direct impact on the frictional force. Generally, the larger the surface area, the greater the frictional force because there is more surface area for the object to come into contact with the surface it is moving on. This is why larger tires on a car can provide more traction and reduce the amount of frictional force.