Final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp using energy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the theoretical final speed of a car rolling down a hill using energy calculations. The homework statement provides the necessary information, including the angle of the incline, height of the ramp, length of the hill, and mass of the car. The homework equations mentioned include GPE=mgh and Ek=1/2mv2. The attempt at a solution mentions using Ek and rearranging to find v, but realizing that this only applies to an object falling straight down. The conversation then clarifies that using ΔE=0 is the correct approach and that ΔP+ΔK=0 in systems with only conservative forces.
rbesfe

Homework Statement

I am tasked with finding the theoretical final speed of a car rolling down a hill using energy calculations. I am given the angle of the incline, the height of the ramp, the length of the hill (horizontal and actual length) and the mass of the car. Also, the car is starting at the top of the hill and rolling all the way to the bottom. Friction does not have to be considered.

Homework Equations

I already know that GPE=mgh, and I know that the final kinetic energy must equal the starting GPE. I also know that Ek=1/2mv2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find it using the aforementioned Ek rearranged to find v, but then I remembered that would only be true if the object was falling straight down. How would I calculate the final velocity of the car after it has rolled down a ramp?

Physics news on Phys.org
rbesfe said:
, but then I remembered that would only be true if the object was falling straight down.

that statement is false

using ΔE=0 is the correct approach
rbesfe said:
and I know that the final kinetic energy must equal the starting GPE.
that statement while true for this specific problem (if the car starts from rest, which you did not specify), is false for most of the problems you might face.
Variation of a system's energy (ΔE) (in a system with only conservative forces acting on it) must be equal to zero, which means, in a system where only kinectic and potential energy are present ΔP+ΔK = 0

Last edited:

What is the final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp using energy?

The final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp using energy can be calculated by using the conservation of energy principle. This states that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant. Therefore, the initial potential energy of the car at the top of the ramp will be converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down the ramp. The final velocity can be determined by equating the initial potential energy to the final kinetic energy of the car.

What factors affect the final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp using energy?

The final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp using energy can be affected by several factors. These include the height of the ramp, the mass of the car, the angle of the ramp, and the surface of the ramp. The steeper the ramp, the greater the potential energy of the car, leading to a higher final velocity. A heavier car will have a greater inertia and will require more energy to reach a certain velocity. The angle of the ramp also affects the final velocity, with a steeper angle resulting in a higher final velocity. Finally, a smoother surface will result in less friction and a higher final velocity.

How can the final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp be increased?

The final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp can be increased by increasing the initial potential energy of the car. This can be achieved by increasing the height or angle of the ramp, or by decreasing the mass of the car. Additionally, reducing friction by using a smoother surface can also increase the final velocity.

What is the relationship between potential energy and final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp using energy?

The relationship between potential energy and final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp is directly proportional. This means that as the potential energy increases, the final velocity also increases. This can be seen in the equation for potential energy, where the mass, acceleration due to gravity, and height all contribute to the final potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy and results in the final velocity.

How does the final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp using energy compare to the initial velocity?

The final velocity of a car rolling down a ramp using energy will always be greater than the initial velocity. This is due to the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy, which results in an increase in velocity. However, if there is friction or other external forces acting on the car, the final velocity may be less than the initial velocity due to the loss of energy.