Final Project (Matura Project) About The Wave Pendulum

• Thread starter cyberspacy_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Highschool
cyberspacy_
Hello together
I have to write my matura project, it's kind of a final project of highschool. I decided to examine the wave pendulum. Now I have to decide what the work about exactly is going to be, like what's going to be my own contribution to the work. For example, some researchers showed aliasing in the wave pendulum.

The pendulum wave:
https://sciencedemonstrations.fas.harvard.edu/presentations/pendulum-waves

Now, what could be a possible investigative approach? I had the idea to model a wave pendulum with pendula with varying weight, but I think that's way to simple. Does anybody have an idea?

Kind regards
Una

Physics news on Phys.org
cyberspacy_ said:
The pendulum wave:
https://sciencedemonstrations.fas.harvard.edu/presentations/pendulum-waves

Now, what could be a possible investigative approach? I had the idea to model a wave pendulum with pendula with varying weight, but I think that's way to simple. Does anybody have an idea?
Can you say what is different between the uncoupled pendulum oscillators in that paper versus coupled oscillators? What is different about the math? IMO, those uncoupled oscillator patterns are just artistic, not very much mathematical, but that's just my opinion.

What is your math background so far for pursuing this project? Have you had a full year of calculus yet?

Likes cyberspacy_
As @berkeman notes, it is not that interesting from a physics or maths perspective. You could consider why it is so visually appealing. (I have a thought on that.)

Do you understand what it is about the setup that arranges they are uncoupled? If your project should have a practical element, you could experiment with a setup that has coupling. I can see a possible connection with music theory.

Likes cyberspacy_ and berkeman

1. How does a wave pendulum work?

A wave pendulum consists of a series of pendulums connected together in such a way that when one pendulum is set in motion, it transfers its energy to the next pendulum, creating a wave-like motion.

2. What factors affect the period of a wave pendulum?

The period of a wave pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum arms, the mass of the pendulum bobs, and the angle at which the pendulums are released.

3. What are some real-world applications of a wave pendulum?

Wave pendulums are often used in physics demonstrations to illustrate principles of wave motion and energy transfer. They can also be used in educational settings to teach students about the properties of waves.

4. How can I build my own wave pendulum for a final project?

To build a wave pendulum for a final project, you will need materials such as pendulum bobs, string, and a sturdy frame. You can find detailed instructions and tutorials online to help guide you through the construction process.

5. What are some potential challenges I may face when working on a final project about the wave pendulum?

Some potential challenges you may face when working on a final project about the wave pendulum include ensuring that the pendulums are properly aligned, adjusting the tension in the strings to create the desired wave motion, and accurately measuring and recording data for analysis.