Finances of Public Medicine and State Schools

In summary, in the UK, state schools and public medical practices are funded from the government right, and then for small amounts they are able to do what they want. However, for a certain amount they would have to get the government's permission to spend more money.
binbagsss
Who decides finances in a state school or public medical practice? They are funded from the government right, and then for small amounts I guess they are able to do what they want. But for a certain amount I assume they would have to get the government's permission?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is really country dependent.

Likes berkeman
binbagsss said:
Who decides finances in a state school or public medical practice?
The Government allocates funds in the budget. The Department of Education, or Health, specifies the outcome standards that must be met.

Those specifications are higher than can be met with the regional funding provided. The front-line managers allocate the available resources, as best they can, while blaming the Government for failing to supply sufficient funding.

The teachers and medical staff try to survive, under stress, with too much work, on too little pay. The staff are sacrificed, while the people suffer.

Everyone blames those above for insufficient funding.
Everyone blames those below for unreasonable demands.

National education and medical services are too important to the health of the nation to go unfunded.

Frabjous said:
It is really country dependent.
apologies ofc should have said, UK

Likes Frabjous
Baluncore said:
The Government allocates funds in the budget. The Department of Education, or Health, specifies the outcome standards that must be met.

Those specifications are higher than can be met with the regional funding provided. The front-line managers allocate the available resources, as best they can, while blaming the Government for failing to supply sufficient funding.

The teachers and medical staff try to survive, under stress, with too much work, on too little pay. The staff are sacrificed, while the people suffer.

Everyone blames those above for insufficient funding.
Everyone blames those below for unreasonable demands.

National education and medical services are too important to the health of the nation to go unfunded.
Okay, I guess I more meant, say the school decides to buy some equipment, spending like 1k on it... would that sort of amount need to be checked by higher up, or I assume something relatively small like that would not need higher up approval then whoever is in charge of the schools'/ medical practices' finances?

It depends. If one buys bandages with the money, it's probably not a big deal. If someone buys a night on the town, it probably is.

I mean I assume there's some threshold amount which also needs authorisation from higher up. Was looking for a rough idea of that.

It would depend on how things are budgeted.

You may have a disposable supply budget, spend up to X in a year.
You may have a personnel budget, spend up to X, but you would be spending more in one place ((a new hire).
Once its budgeted, someone has to have the authority to spend it. Items more than certain amounts may require more documentation and getting agreements.
A new building is a special expense that a higher power would have to fund.

All this will vary with:
  • where you are in the control hierarchy
  • what exactly you are talking about
  • how things are being run
  • where your money is coming from.

binbagsss said:
Who decides finances in a state school or public medical practice? They are funded from the government right, and then for small amounts I guess they are able to do what they want.
binbagsss said:
apologies ofc should have said, UK
binbagsss said:
But for a certain amount I assume they would have to get the government's permission?
No, this is not how it works in the UK.

https://educationhub.blog.gov.uk/2023/04/26/school-funding-everything-you-need-to-know/
https://www.england.nhs.uk/commissioning/primary-care/

(Note the above are for England, there are differences in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland).

1. What is the current state of funding for public medicine and state schools?

The current state of funding for public medicine and state schools varies depending on the country and region. In general, these institutions receive funding from government budgets, taxes, and donations. However, there is often not enough funding to meet the growing demand for these services, leading to budget cuts and resource shortages.

2. How are public medicine and state schools funded?

As mentioned, public medicine and state schools are primarily funded through government budgets and taxes. In some cases, these institutions may also receive funding from private donations, grants, and partnerships with other organizations. Additionally, students and patients may also be required to pay fees for certain services.

3. How do budget cuts affect the quality of public medicine and state schools?

Budget cuts can have a significant impact on the quality of public medicine and state schools. With less funding, these institutions may struggle to provide adequate resources and services for their students and patients. This can lead to overcrowding, longer wait times, and limited access to necessary resources, ultimately affecting the overall quality of education and healthcare provided.

4. Are there any solutions to improve the finances of public medicine and state schools?

There are various solutions that can help improve the finances of public medicine and state schools. These include increasing government funding, implementing cost-saving measures, encouraging private donations, and promoting partnerships with other organizations. Additionally, addressing underlying issues such as economic inequality and healthcare disparities can also help improve the financial stability of these institutions.

5. How can the public contribute to the finances of public medicine and state schools?

There are several ways that the public can contribute to the finances of public medicine and state schools. One way is through donations to these institutions or fundraising efforts organized by community groups. Additionally, advocating for increased government funding and supporting policies that address economic and social inequalities can also help improve the financial situation of these institutions.