Find a Machinable Plastic/Glass Torus - R=15cm, r=8cm

• Thread starter TESL@
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torus
In summary, this person is working on a new way to generate electricity using solid state principles, and they are a fan of Tesla.
TESL@
Hello,

Do you know any online source where I can purchase a plastic or glass torus which can be machined easily? The requirements are low conductivity and high temperature resistance. (I know it is unlikely for plastics, but worth asking)

Thank you.

edit: Forgot to tell dimensions:

R = 15 cm
r = 8 cm
Thickness = -

TESL@ said:
Hello,

Do you know any online source where I can purchase a plastic or glass torus which can be machined easily? The requirements are low conductivity and high temperature resistance. (I know it is unlikely for plastics, but worth asking)

Thank you.

R = 15 cm
r = 8 cm
Thickness = -

Are you in the US? You might try contacting Tap Plastics to see if they have any ideas: http://www.tapplastics.com/

Beyond that, you could look into casting the torus yourself maybe...?

Likes TESL@
TESL@ said:
Hello,

Thank you.

R = 15 cm
r = 8 cm
Thickness = -
Try... this material... "Macor machinable ceramics", link to:www.ceramicproductsinc.com

Likes TESL@ and berkeman
Eddie Sines said:
Try... this material... "Macor machinable ceramics", link to:www.ceramicproductsinc.com
This stuff cuts like a dream in the lath.. you can make anything with it...be sure your tools are very sharp... diamond tipped if possible, cut slow and you'll be able to make
device with no problems. -e

Thank you! I am not in the US but I will contact them and see if they can ship me.

TESL@ said:
Thank you! I am not in the US but I will contact them and see if they can ship me.
Like your picture of Tesla... one of my favorite people in history. BTW, I am working on one of Nikola Tesla's concepts...a new method of generating electricity using solid state principles. If you're familiar with his patents maybe we could chat some more. Regards, -e

1. What is a torus and how is it used?

A torus is a geometric shape that resembles a donut or inner tube. It is used in various applications such as in mathematics, engineering, and architecture. In engineering, torus shapes are often used in machine components, while in architecture, they can be seen in the design of buildings and bridges.

2. What is the difference between a machinable plastic torus and a machinable glass torus?

The main difference between a machinable plastic torus and a machinable glass torus is the material they are made of. Machinable plastic torus is made from plastic materials, while machinable glass torus is made from glass materials. This can affect their properties, such as strength, durability, and heat resistance.

3. How do you determine the size of a torus?

The size of a torus is determined by two main measurements: the major radius (R) and the minor radius (r). The major radius is the distance from the center of the torus to the center of the tube, while the minor radius is the radius of the tube itself. In the given example, R=15cm and r=8cm, meaning that the overall size of the torus is 15cm and the tube has a radius of 8cm.

4. What materials are commonly used for machinable plastic and glass torus?

Common materials used for machinable plastic torus include PVC, acrylic, nylon, and polycarbonate. For machinable glass torus, commonly used materials include borosilicate glass, fused quartz, and Pyrex. The choice of material will depend on the specific application and desired properties of the torus.

5. Can a torus be machined to custom specifications?

Yes, torus shapes can be machined to custom specifications to fit the specific needs of a project. This includes adjusting the major and minor radius, as well as the overall size and material used. It is important to consult with a professional or use specialized software to ensure the precise measurements and specifications are met.