Find acceleration and centripetal force

In summary, the conversation discusses the ranking of the rate at which the direction of each object's velocity is changing, with the greatest rate being first. The equation for centripetal motion is mentioned, but it is unclear how to apply it without the radius. The objects in question do not move in a circle or at a uniform speed, and the plotted graph shows two spatial dimensions with blue representing motion and red representing acceleration. It is mentioned that red is acceleration, although it looks odd in one part of the graph. The conversation ends with the reminder that for the change in direction, the acceleration along the direction of motion is not important and the focus should be on finding the acceleration orthogonal to it.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

Rank the rate at which the direction of each object's velocity is changing, greatest first.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I know a centripetal = v^2/r, but i don't have r so i am not sure if i am supposed to just eyeball it and draw a reference circle or not..

Attachments

• curve.jpg
    curve.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 534
Physics news on Phys.org
The objects don't move on a circle, and they don't move at uniform speed either.

What is plotted here? Two spatial dimensions? Blue is the motion I guess. Can you figure out what red is?

mfb said:
The objects don't move on a circle, and they don't move at uniform speed either.

What is plotted here? Two spatial dimensions? Blue is the motion I guess. Can you figure out what red is?
Red is acceleration here I'm sorry i forgot to mention

mfb said:

i already submitted the assignment, i still have another physics homework and a physics test tomorrow and i am very stressed >=[

submitted that assignment with the wrong answer

isukatphysics69 said:
Red is acceleration
Okay (although it looks odd in (b), there should be an acceleration).
For the change in direction the acceleration along the direction of motion does not matter. Can you find the acceleration orthogonal to it?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction. In other words, acceleration measures how quickly an object's velocity is changing, and in which direction it is changing.

2. How can I calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you can use the formula: a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. Alternatively, if you know the distance an object has traveled and the time it took, you can use the formula: a = 2d / t^2, where d is the distance and t is the time.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is perpendicular to the object's velocity. This force is necessary to maintain the object's uniform circular motion.

4. How can I find the centripetal force?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula: F = mv^2 / r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. Alternatively, you can use the formula: F = mω^2r, where ω is the angular velocity of the object.

5. Is there a relationship between acceleration and centripetal force?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between acceleration and centripetal force. The acceleration of an object moving in a circular path is always directed towards the center of the circle, the same direction as the centripetal force. This means that as the centripetal force increases, so does the acceleration and vice versa.