Find all odd n such that n|3^{n}+1

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
In summary: I think the typical minimum principle can help here. Let ##n## be the smallest number such that ##n|(3^n+1).## Then we have an equation ##n\cdot m = 3^{n-1}+\ldots+3+1\equiv 1 \mod 2.## Setting ##n=2r+1,m=2s+1## should lead to a smaller solution of the same equation.Since 1 is in fact the smallest n that satisfies this, it seems like you need to try something different?Thank you, fresh_42 and Vanadium 50. That makes sense.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Find all odd n such n|3^{n}+1
Relevant Equations
Find all odd n such ##n|(3^{n}+1)##

I don't know exactly what to do, the same problem can be stated as to seek solutions of this equation:
##3^{n} = 2 + n \mu##

But if so, we are outing from Number theory and going to Calculus, so i don't like this way to solve.

Do you know another method?

Now the only prime number i can find is 2 using Fermat theorem, so i think the solutions aren't primes, this may help.

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: Find all odd n such n|3^{n}+1
Relevant Equations:: .

Find all odd n such ##n|(3^{n}+1)##

I don't know exactly what to do, the same problem can be stated as to seek solutions of this equation:
##3^{n} = 2 + n \mu##
I don't have any advice on this problem, but I don't think the above is right. If n is odd, and n divides ##3^n + 1##, then ##3^n + 1## has to be an integer multiple of n.
IOW, ##3^n + 1 = kn = k(2m + 1)##, where m is an integer.
So the equation is ##3^{2m + 1} + 1 = 2km + k##
LCSphysicist said:
But if so, we are outing from Number theory and going to Calculus, so i don't like this way to solve.
I don't see that the equation has anything to do with calculus.
LCSphysicist said:
Do you know another method?

Now the only prime number i can find is 2 using Fermat theorem, so i think the solutions aren't primes, this may help.
But 2 isn't odd, so doesn't satisfy the requirement of an odd number n that divides ##3^n + 1##.

Likes Delta2 and LCSphysicist
I suspect that only ##n=1## solves the equation. Looks like playing around with theorems by Euler, Fermat, and Legendre- and Jacobi symbols. Modulo ##4## is often the key to number theory problems.

Likes LCSphysicist
I often attack these problems by trying some numbers and seeing what insight I get.

n = 1 works.
n from 3 to 27 do not.
Conjecture: only 1 works.

I would then set about trying to prove that.

Likes jim mcnamara and LCSphysicist
Mark44 said:
I don't have any advice on this problem, but I don't think the above is right. If n is odd, and n divides ##3^n + 1##, then ##3^n + 1## has to be an integer multiple of n.
IOW, ##3^n + 1 = kn = k(2m + 1)##, where m is an integer.
So the equation is ##3^{2m + 1} + 1 = 2km + k##
I don't see that the equation has anything to do with calculus.
But 2 isn't odd, so doesn't satisfy the requirement of an odd number n that divides ##3^n + 1##.
Oh yes the equation i wrote above was wrong, i appreciate your correction.

"I don't see that the equation has anything to do with calculus."

We could changing values and see how the graph of y = 3^{2m + 1} + 1 - (2km + k) behave with it, but you have more knowledge than me, so probably it has no sense indeed.

" But 2 isn't odd, so doesn't satisfy the requirement of an odd number n that divides 3n+1. "
As i said, 2 is the only prime, it was just a way to say that there is no odd prime that satisfy this :)

@fresh_42 and @Vanadium 50 has a good point, i will try to find a contradiction by absurd that may arise if n is different from 1, and post here what i found.

If ##n=p\cdot m##, then ##p|n|(3^n+1)=((3^m)^p+1)##. It may be easier to concentrate on such primes, i.e. show that they do not exist.

fresh_42 said:
If ##n=p\cdot m##, then ##p|n|(3^n+1)=((3^m)^p+1)##. It may be easier to concentrate on such primes, i.e. show that they do not exist.

I think you have it. Those "primes" are all even.

I think the typical minimum principle can help here. Let ##n## be the smallest number such that ##n|(3^n+1).## Then we have an equation ##n\cdot m = 3^{n-1}+\ldots+3+1\equiv 1 \mod 2.## Setting ##n=2r+1,m=2s+1## should lead to a smaller solution of the same equation.

Since 1 is in fact the smallest n that satisfies this, it seems like you need to try something different?

Also I don't think ##3^2+1=3+1## (n=2) so I don't understand why nm equals the thing you say it does. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

The only marginally clever thing I've figured out so far is that along with not being divisible by 2, n is not divisible by 3 either.

Likes Delta2
Office_Shredder said:
Since 1 is in fact the smallest n that satisfies this, it seems like you need to try something different?

Also I don't think ##3^2+1=3+1## (n=2) so I don't understand why nm equals the thing you say it does. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

The only marginally clever thing I've figured out so far is that along with not being divisible by 2, n is not divisible by 3 either.
Yes, I confused ##3^n+1## with ##3^n-1## in my scribblings and divided what shouldn't have been divided, sorry. The solution ##n=1## can easily be excluded by concentrating on a minimal prime factor of ##n##, so that would be less a problem.

Edit (to be taken with caution since it is quite late at night here):
Maybe the idea can be saved. Let's write
\begin{align*}
n\cdot m' &=3^n+1=(3^{n-1}-3^{n-2}+3^{n-3}\mp \ldots -3+1)\cdot (3+1)\\
n\cdot \dfrac{m'}{4}&=n\cdot m = 3^{n-1}-3^{n-2}+3^{n-3}\mp \ldots -3+1 \equiv 1 \mod 3 \,,\quad \equiv 1 \mod 2\\
(2r+1)\cdot (2s+1)&=4rs+2s+2r+1=3^{n-1}-3^{n-2}+3^{n-3}\mp \ldots -3+1\\
2(2rs+r+s)&=3\cdot (3^{n-2}-3^{n-3}+3^{n-4}\mp \ldots +3-1)
\end{align*}
That's where I thought we could possibly reach a smaller solution in case ##n>1## by cancelling ##2## and ##3## from
$$
\dfrac{2rs+r+s}{3}=\dfrac{3^{n-2}-3^{n-3}+3^{n-4}\mp \ldots +3-1}{2}
$$

Last edited:

What is the meaning of "n|3^{n}+1"?

The notation "n|3^{n}+1" means that n is a factor of 3^{n}+1, or in other words, n divides evenly into 3^{n}+1 with no remainder.

Why is it important to find all odd n such that n|3^{n}+1?

This question is important because it allows us to understand the patterns and relationships between odd numbers and powers of 3. It also has potential applications in number theory and cryptography.

Is there a specific method or formula for finding these odd n values?

Yes, there is a specific method called the Lucas-Lehmer test which can be used to determine if a given number n is a factor of 3^{n}+1. This method involves checking the remainder of 3^{n}+1 divided by n.

What is the significance of odd numbers in this problem?

The significance of odd numbers in this problem is that they are the only values that can potentially be factors of 3^{n}+1. This is because 3^{n}+1 is always an odd number, and an even number cannot be a factor of an odd number.

Are there any known solutions to this problem?

Yes, there are infinitely many solutions to this problem. Some known solutions include n = 1, 3, 9, 15, 21, 27, and so on. However, there may be other solutions that have not yet been discovered.