Find an equation of the tangent line at the given point on the curve

In summary: I don't see how you got the last two equations, and then how you got from those to the answer. It's not obvious to me. Could you explain?We have:\frac{dy}{dx} = -2sin^3(θ)cos(θ) = -2sin^4(θ)\frac{cos(θ)}{sin(θ)} = -2sin^4(θ)cot(θ)= -2(\frac{y^2}{4})(\frac{x}{2}) = -\frac{xy^2}{4}Now you can just plug in the values for x and y without worrying about θ.You have to be a bit more open-minded about
Lebombo
Given the parametric equations, find an equation of the tangent line at the given point on the curve.

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the tangent line at each given point on the curve:

x = 2cotΘ and y=2sin[itex]^{2}θ[/itex] at point ([itex]\frac{-2}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex],[itex]\frac{3}{2})[/itex]

Homework Equations

dy/dx = dy/dθ/dx/dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{-2}{\sqrt{3}} = 2cotθ[/itex] and [itex]\frac{3}{2}=2sin^{2}θ[/itex]

[itex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}=\frac{cosθ}{sinθ

}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=sinθ[/itex]

letting θ = [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] for each function yields the point ([itex]\frac{-2}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex],[itex]\frac{3}{2})[/itex]

dy/dx = [itex]\frac{dy/dθ}{dx/dθ}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{2sin^{2}θ}{2cotθ})'[/itex]

= [itex]-2sin^{3}θcosθ[/itex]

at θ= [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex]

slope of tangent = 9/8

so m = (y-y)/(x-x)

9/8 = [itex]\frac{(y-\frac{3}{2}}{x-(-\frac{-2}{\sqrt{3}}}[/itex]

y = [itex]\frac{9}{8} + 15/4[/itex]

Answer doesn't match. I must have made a mistake somewhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lebombo said:
dy/dx = [itex]\frac{dy/dθ}{dx/dθ}[/itex] = [itex](\frac{2sin^{2}θ}{2cotθ})'[/itex]

Try converting this derivative back to a function of x and y.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I don't think this can be converted into a function in terms of x and y. Why would I have to use the formula dy/dy = dy/dθ/dx/dθ if a function could just be found in terms of x and y from the start?

To create one function in terms of x and y, I would have to solve one of the parametric equations for θ and then substitute that result into the other parametric equation. That's the only way I can fathom coming up with a function in terms of x and y.

You don't think that dy/dx looks a bit like [itex]xy^2[/itex]?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Lebombo said:
I don't think this can be converted into a function in terms of x and y. Why would I have to use the formula dy/dy = dy/dθ/dx/dθ if a function could just be found in terms of x and y from the start?

[itex]x^2 = \frac{4cos^2(\theta)}{sin^2(\theta)} = \frac{8(1-sin^2(\theta))}{y}[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{8-4y}{y} = \frac{8}{y} - 4[/itex]

[itex]\frac{8}{y} = x^2 + 4 \ ∴ \ y = \frac{8}{x^2 + 4}[/itex]

So, you could have done it this way!

Likes 1 person
Lebombo said:
Given the parametric equations, find an equation of the tangent line at the given point on the curve.

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the tangent line at each given point on the curve:

x = 2cotΘ and y=2sin[itex]^{2}θ[/itex] at point ([itex]\frac{-2}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex],[itex]\frac{3}{2})[/itex]

Homework Equations

dy/dx = dy/dθ/dx/dθ

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\frac{-2}{\sqrt{3}} = 2cotθ[/itex] and [itex]\frac{3}{2}=2sin^{2}θ[/itex]

[itex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}=\frac{cosθ}{sinθ

}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=sinθ[/itex]

letting θ = [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] for each function yields the point ([itex]\frac{-2}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex],[itex]\frac{3}{2})[/itex]

at θ= [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex]

slope of tangent = 9/8

so m = (y-y)/(x-x)

9/8 = [itex]\frac{(y-\frac{3}{2}}{x-(-\frac{-2}{\sqrt{3}}}[/itex]

y = [itex]\frac{9}{8} + 15/4[/itex]

You did not calculate the derivative dy/dx correctly. This is where you made your mistake:
It should read:
dy/dx = [itex]\frac{dy/dθ}{dx/dθ}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(2sin^{2}θ)'}{(2cotθ)'}[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
You did not calculate the derivative dy/dx correctly. This is where you made your mistake:
It should read:
dy/dx = [itex]\frac{dy/dθ}{dx/dθ}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(2sin^{2}θ)'}{(2cotθ)'}[/itex]

Despite the notation and the appearance of doing the former, the OP did actually do the latter and differentiate the numerator and denominator separately - and correctly!

Likes 1 person
PeroK said:
Despite the notation and the appearance of doing the former, the OP did actually do the latter and differentiate the numerator and denominator separately - and correctly!
Oh yes. I see you're right.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Lebombo said:
and [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=sinθ[/itex]
I haven't scrutinized this closely, apart from verifying you had differentiated the quotient correctly, as has one other poster.

You say answer doesn't match, do you mean your answer isn't the same as the answer given in the book? But might there be more than one "answer"? For example, there is often an angle in another quadrant which satisfies cos and sin. And when you took the square root to find sin, you haven't allowed for the possibility it's the negative of (√3)/2?

Once you have what you think are candidates for the answer, you need to check that each does satisfy the original equations.

Likes 1 person
PeroK said:
You don't think that dy/dx looks a bit like [itex]xy^2[/itex]?

PeroK, no, unfortunately I don't think dy/dx looks any bit like xy^2.I think that [itex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{3}xy^{3}[/itex] looks a bit like xy[itex]^{2}[/itex] I don't see what you are implying by comparing dy/dx to xy^2.

Hi Lebombo!

The calculated slope is incorrect. :)

Likes 1 person
NascentOxygen said:
I haven't scrutinized this closely, apart from verifying you had differentiated the quotient correctly, as has one other poster.

You say answer doesn't match, do you mean your answer isn't the same as the answer given in the book? But might there be more than one "answer"? For example, there is often an angle in another quadrant which satisfies cos and sin. And when you took the square root to find sin, you haven't allowed for the possibility it's the negative of (√3)/2?

Once you have what you think are candidates for the answer, you need to check that each does satisfy the original equations.

The answer for this problem in the back of the book is [itex]3\sqrt{3}x - 8y + 18 = 0[/itex]

I can try the angle from another quadrant, the only other possibility might be 10pi/6 in the 4th quadrant. I'll try it and see what I come up with.

Last edited:
Lebombo said:
PeroK, no, unfortunately I don't think dy/dx looks any bit like xy^2.I think that [itex]\frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{3}xy^{3}[/itex] looks a bit like xy[itex]^{2}[/itex] I don't see what you are implying by comparing dy/dx to xy^2.

We have:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -2sin^3(θ)cos(θ) = -2sin^4(θ)\frac{cos(θ)}{sin(θ)} = -2sin^4(θ)cot(θ)[/itex]

[itex]= -2(\frac{y^2}{4})(\frac{x}{2}) = -\frac{xy^2}{4}[/itex]

Now you can just plug in the values for x and y without worrying about θ.

You have to be a bit more open-minded about how to solve these problems.

Likes 1 person
Lebombo said:
I can try the angle from another quadrant, the only other possibility might be 10pi/6 in the 4th quadrant. I'll try it and see what I come up with.

You don't really need to look for any other angle. Your work is fine except when you substitute the values of ##\sin\theta## and ##\cos\theta## in ##-2\sin^3\theta \cos\theta##. What is ##(-\sqrt{3}/2)^3##?

Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora,

Thanks, when I saw your first point, I immediately went back to double check the evaluation for the slope.

I noted that I did not calculate [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3^{3}}}{2^{3}}[/itex] correctly.

I was going to respond back to you with the correct equation in hand, but you beat me to the punch. I am in the process of forming what I hope will be he right answer, but so far, one term is still not matching up.

So far, I have [itex]3\sqrt{3}x - 8y + 34/3 = 0[/itex]

According to the book, the 34/3 term should actually be 18.

Last edited:
Lebombo said:
So far, I have [itex]3\sqrt{3}x - 8y + 34/3 = 0[/itex]

According to the book, the 34/3 term should actually be 18.

Can you show your steps? I do reach the answer given by the book.

Likes 1 person
These are the steps I've made:

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{27}}{8}=\frac{y-2/3}{x+2/\sqrt{3}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{27}}{8}(x+\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}})= y- 2/3[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{27}x + 2\frac{\sqrt{27}}{\sqrt{3}}+\frac{16}{3}=8y[/itex]

[itex]3\sqrt{3}x + 18/3 + 16/3 -8y = 0[/itex]

[itex]3\sqrt{3}x + 34/3 - 8y = 0[/itex]

Last edited:
Lebombo said:
These are the steps I've made:

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{27}}{8}=\frac{y-2/3}{x+2/\sqrt{3}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\sqrt{27}}{8}(x+\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}= y- 2/3[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{27}x + 2\frac{\sqrt{27}}{\sqrt{3}}+\frac{16}{3}=8y[/itex]

[itex]3\sqrt{3}x + 18/3 + 16/3 -8y = 0[/itex]

[itex]3\sqrt{3}x + 34/3 - 8y = 0[/itex]

The ordinate of given point is 3/2, not 2/3. :)

Likes 1 person
Fantastic, thanks so much.

Lebombo said:
Fantastic, thanks so much.

Glad to help! :)

Likes 1 person

Related to Find an equation of the tangent line at the given point on the curve

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point, and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line at a given point?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to take the derivative of the curve at the given point. Then, you can use the point-slope formula, y-y1 = m(x-x1), where m is the slope of the tangent line and (x1, y1) is the given point, to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a given point. It is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point.

4. Can you find the equation of a tangent line at any point on a curve?

Yes, you can find the equation of a tangent line at any point on a curve as long as the curve is differentiable at that point. This means that the curve has a well-defined derivative at that point.

5. Why is finding the equation of a tangent line important?

Finding the equation of a tangent line is important because it allows us to approximate the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It also helps us to understand the rate of change of a function at that point and can be used in various applications, such as optimization problems and physics calculations.