Find angular acceleration using theoretical values

In summary: Since you don't have the information on the force of friction, you'll need to leave it as an unknown.
Thynazgul

Homework Statement

I'm doing a coursework where I must find the angular acceleration of a rolling tin can using theoretical values. I have its mass and radius. I actually have experimental data so i have access to the actual values of angular velocity and angular acceleration, as well as time.

Homework Equations

v= angular velocity * radius
acceleration = torque / moment of inertia
moment of inertia = 1/2mr2
v= square root (gh)
angular acceleration = change in angular velocity / change in time
Torque = force * radius

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck but I thought of calculating the linear velocity by using mgh= 1/2mv2, then using the velocity and radius to calculate the angular velocity. Once I have that I could calculate two angular velocities and use the time between them to measure the acceleration.

Another attempt was to use a = torque / I and try to calculate the torque but I don't know what force to use. I believe it could be friction but I do not have information on friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the condition for which you are trying to calculate the angular acceleration? I assume that the can is rolling down an incline, but that isn't clear from your post.

brainpushups said:
What exactly is the condition for which you are trying to calculate the angular acceleration? I assume that the can is rolling down an incline, but that isn't clear from your post.
Exaclty, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Since I have a measured value for linear velocity I've been playing around with angular momentum,
since L= Iω and L=mvr
then Iω =mvr
ω=mvr / I

maybe I can do somethin with that but I would prefer to calculate a value for linear velocity. I found a formula that rearranges mgh = KE + rotational KE into something like root(gh) but it makes no sense since the height change could be the same but at different velocities...

Thynazgul said:
Another attempt was to use a = torque / I and try to calculate the torque but I don't know what force to use. I believe it could be friction but I do not have information on friction.

If you're trying to find a formula for the acceleration this is the approach you'll want to take. Friction is indeed an unknown (along with the acceleration), but that is okay. You have two equations F=ma and τ = I α.

Start with a force diagram and remember that, when evaluating the torque, you must specify your axis of rotation. Note that this is also important for the moment of inertia!
I question the I = 1/2mr2. That is the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder or disc about its center of mass. Is the can hollow?

Yes the can is hollow, should I use mr2 instead? Anyways I believe static friction is something like μmg but how would I find the coefficient of friction? :(

Thynazgul said:
Yes the can is hollow, should I use mr2 instead?

Yes. If the can is open on both ends. I would say that if it is only open on one end you should use the moment of inertia of the hollow cylinder (hollow can) PLUS the moment of inertia of the single end (solid disc). Perhaps you don't have all of the information for this... If so you'll be better off using the hollow cylinder formula.

Thynazgul said:
I believe static friction is something like μmg
No. Static friction is variable. It will always adjust itself to be equal and opposite to the force along the surface in the other direction. On FLAT ground the MAXIMUM force of static friction is μmg. Leave the force of friction as an unknown 'f.'

Related to Find angular acceleration using theoretical values

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing, and is usually expressed in units of radians per second squared.

2. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation α = (ω2 - ω1) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ω2 is the final angular velocity, ω1 is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. A negative angular acceleration means that the object is slowing down in its rotation, while a positive angular acceleration means that the object is speeding up in its rotation.

4. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the equation a = rα, where a is the linear acceleration, r is the radius of the object's rotation, and α is the angular acceleration. This means that for a given angular acceleration, the linear acceleration will be greater for objects with a larger radius of rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding angular acceleration using theoretical values?

Calculating angular acceleration using theoretical values is important in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. In engineering, it can be used to design and optimize machines and mechanisms that involve rotational motion. In physics, it is used to understand the behavior of objects in circular motion and to analyze the forces acting on them. In astronomy, it is used to study the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system.