Find angular seperation of spectral lines with a grating spectrometer

In summary, the problem asks for the angular separation between the red hydrogen-alpha spectral line at 656nm and the yellow sodium line at 589nm, observed in third order with a 3500-line/cm grating spectrometer. The relevant equation is d sin(theta) = m*lamda, where d is the distance between two slits, m is the integer order, theta is the angular separation, and lamda is the wavelength. After converting all units to meters, the resulting equation may yield a value greater than 1 for sin(theta), which is not possible. This indicates that there may be a mistake in the equation or units used.
sailfast775

Homework Statement

find the angular separation between the red hydrogen-alpha spectral line at 656nm and the yellow sodium line at 589nm if the two are observed in third order with a 3500-line/cm grating spectrometer.

Homework Equations

maximum equation for multi-slit interference
d sin(theta)=m*lamda

d=distance between two slits
m=the interger called the order (bright spots)
theta=angular seperation
lamda=wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging all of my data into the equation above with d as 1/grading but I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about the problem. I'm not even sure if this is the best formula to use but I can't find any other relevant equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Pf sailfast

you are correct, your d is 1/3500 to get centimeters per grating. This equation is correct and applies to this problem. Just be careful with your units and 'm'

yay! i rock at PHYS

I have the same question here. But when I get sin(theta), I get something over 1. That is not possible. Is my equation wrong? Because I am very sure the units I've been using here are correct. I converted everything into meters.

Related to Find angular seperation of spectral lines with a grating spectrometer

What is a grating spectrometer?

A grating spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the spectral lines of light. It consists of a diffraction grating, which splits the light into different wavelengths, and a detector that measures the intensity of each wavelength.

How does a grating spectrometer work?

A grating spectrometer works by passing light through a diffraction grating, which causes the light to diffract and split into its component wavelengths. The diffracted light then passes through a slit and onto a detector, which measures the intensity of each wavelength. This data is then used to create a spectrum of the light source.

What is the purpose of using a grating spectrometer?

The purpose of using a grating spectrometer is to analyze the spectral lines of a light source. This can provide valuable information about the chemical composition, temperature, and other properties of the source. Spectral analysis is used in a wide range of fields, including astronomy, chemistry, and physics.

How do you find the angular separation of spectral lines with a grating spectrometer?

The angular separation of spectral lines can be found by measuring the distance between the two lines on the detector and the distance from the grating to the detector. The angular separation can then be calculated using the formula θ = x/d, where θ is the angular separation, x is the distance between the lines, and d is the distance from the grating to the detector.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the angular separation measurement with a grating spectrometer?

The accuracy of the angular separation measurement can be affected by several factors. These include the quality and alignment of the diffraction grating, the accuracy of the detector, and external factors such as vibrations or changes in temperature. Proper calibration and careful handling of the instrument can help to minimize these sources of error.