Find arclength of curve; stuck trying to integrate radical

In summary, the problem involves finding the arclength of a curve using the formula ∫ab √ (1 + f'(x)2) dx, but the attempt at solution involved an incorrect derivative, causing difficulty in solving the integral.
Ryaners

Homework Statement

Find the arclength of the curve x = ⅓(y2+2)3/2 from y=0 to y=1.

Homework Equations

(Please forgive the crazy definite integral symbols - I'm taking a LaTex class tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to communicate more clearly from then on..!)

arclength of curve = ∫ab √ (1 + f'(x)2) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

*Note: We haven't covered trig substitution in class yet & so I'm looking for a way to do this using u-substitution or another method.*

This is where I've gotten so far:

dx/dy = y√(y+2) = √(y3 + 2y2)

arclength = ∫01 √(1 + [√(y3 + 2y2)]2) dy
= ∫01 √(1 + y3 + 2y2) dy

Then I get stuck. I've tried the following substitution:
u = 1 + y3 + 2y2
du = 3y2 + 2y

but that doesn't seem to help. I've also tried getting y in terms of x & integrating that but I reach a similar stumbling block with that approach too. Wolfram Alpha gives a nice clean answer of 4/3 which makes me think I'm missing something fairly obvious. Any pointers much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryaners said:

Any pointers much appreciated!

You may want to double check your differentiation.

Likes Ryaners
Ryaners said:

Homework Statement

Find the arclength of the curve x = ⅓(y2+2)3/2 from y=0 to y=1.

Homework Equations

(Please forgive the crazy definite integral symbols - I'm taking a LaTex class tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to communicate more clearly from then on..!)

arclength of curve = ∫ab √ (1 + f'(x)2) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

*Note: We haven't covered trig substitution in class yet & so I'm looking for a way to do this using u-substitution or another method.*

arclength = ∫01 √(1 + [√(y3 + 2y2)]2) dy
= ∫01 √(1 + y3 + 2y2) dy

Then I get stuck. I've tried the following substitution:
u = 1 + y3 + 2y2
du = 3y2 + 2y

but that doesn't seem to help. I've also tried getting y in terms of x & integrating that but I reach a similar stumbling block with that approach too. Wolfram Alpha gives a nice clean answer of 4/3 which makes me think I'm missing something fairly obvious. Any pointers much appreciated!

Your differentiation/arclength formula is incorrect; go back and check your algebra.

Likes Ryaners
Aha! Thank you both for pointing out that error in computing the derivative - getting a nice factorizable expression now :)

What is arclength?

Arclength is a measure of the length of a curve, which can be thought of as the distance along the curve.

Why is finding the arclength of a curve important?

Finding the arclength of a curve is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows for accurate measurement and analysis of curved structures and objects.

What is the process for finding the arclength of a curve?

The process for finding the arclength of a curve involves using the formula dS = sqrt(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx, where dS represents the infinitesimal length of the curve, dy/dx is the derivative of the curve, and dx is the infinitesimal change in the independent variable.

Why am I stuck trying to integrate a radical when finding the arclength of a curve?

Integrating a radical can be a challenging task, as it involves finding the antiderivative of a function with a radical. It is important to have a strong understanding of integration techniques and to practice regularly in order to successfully integrate a radical.

Are there any tips for successfully integrating a radical when finding the arclength of a curve?

Yes, some tips for successfully integrating a radical include using substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is also helpful to break the integral into smaller, more manageable parts and to practice regularly in order to improve your integration skills.