Find average acceleration - vectors

In summary: Your last hint is what do you think good old Pythagoras would do in the same situation?Your last hint is what do you think good old Pythagoras would do in the same situation?I dont know. I am missing something - I do not understand your hint. I am sorry. I am not a natural at thisDo you know what the Pythagorean theorem is? You may not have seen it in a while, but it's probably a good idea to brush up on it.Do you know what the Pythagorean theorem is? You may not have seen it in a while, but it's probably a good idea to brush up on it.The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square
Michelle027
1. A car is traveling 9m/s Northwest. 8 seconds later it has rounded a corner and is now heading North at 15m/s.

This was a question from my textbook and was an example question - so they supplied answers. I was able to work through all of it finding everything except the last question.
They wanted me to calculate average acceleration. ( the average acceleration vector was 0.795m/s^2 xhat and 1.08m/s^2 yhat. That I was able to calculate)

Homework Equations

I expected the normal acceleration would have been to use v=vo +at where I interchange the equation to make a the formula of the equation and work out acceleration accordingly. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was as follows: 24= 0 + a(8) which follows to a= 24/8= 6m/s^2. Which is SO far out from their solution which was 1.34m/s^2[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
It is unclear what they mean by "average acceleration" unless they refer to "magnitude of average acceleration vector". If they mean anything else, such as the average of the magnitude of the acceleration vector, there is too little information.

Hi Michelle027, Welcome to Physics Forums!

I suspect that by "normal acceleration" they may be looking for the magnitude of the average acceleration vector that you already found, that is, the magnitude of ##(0.795 \hat{x} + 1.08 \hat{y})m/s^2##

Edit: Ah. I see that Orodruin got there before me!

Likes Michelle027
Michelle027 said:
1. A car is traveling 9m/s Northwest. 8 seconds later it has rounded a corner and is now heading North at 15m/s.

This was a question from my textbook and was an example question - so they supplied answers. I was able to work through all of it finding everything except the last question.
They wanted me to calculate average acceleration. ( the average acceleration vector was 0.795m/s^2 xhat and 1.08m/s^2 yhat. That I was able to calculate)

Homework Equations

I expected the normal acceleration would have been to use v=vo +at where I interchange the equation to make a the formula of the equation and work out acceleration accordingly. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was as follows: 24= 0 + a(8) which follows to a= 24/8= 6m/s^2. Which is SO far out from their solution which was 1.34m/s^2[/B]

Judging from the answer, they mean that the car took 8 seconds to round the corner, turning in some sort of curve.

You don't have constant acceleration in this case. Do you know why not?

In this case, where acceleration is changing, what is the definition of average acceleration?

Likes Michelle027
PeroK said:
Judging from the answer, they mean that the car took 8 seconds to round the corner, turning in some sort of curve.

In this case, where acceleration is changing, what is the definition of average acceleration?

Thank you for answering
I know that a change in direction brings about acceleration. I presume that is why the acceleration is not constant? I will try a different equation.

PeroK said:
This is not necessarily true. A constant acceleration would also result in "some sort of curve".

Likes Michelle027
gneill said:
Hi Michelle027, Welcome to Physics Forums!

I suspect that by "normal acceleration" they may be looking for the magnitude of the average acceleration vector that you already found, that is, the magnitude of ##(0.795 \hat{x} + 1.08 \hat{y})m/s^2##

Edit: Ah. I see that Orodruin got there before me!
Thank you so much for replying. I will try that and then make sure I understand why I had to work with that magnitude. I am studying through a distance-education institution so I rely on Google and Youtube and this forum

Orodruin said:
This is not necessarily true. A constant acceleration would also result in "some sort of curve".
Oh my word - I will read through that chapter again - doing this through a distance learning institution and it seems the more I try to figure this the more distance there comes between me and understanding how this works! Thank you for your time and replies

Michelle027 said:
Thank you for answering
I know that a change in direction brings about acceleration. I presume that is why the acceleration is not constant? I will try a different equation.
You seem to have worked all this out already, but not in your attempted solution.

If you calculate the magnitude of your average acceleration vector what do you get?

PeroK said:
You seem to have worked all this out already, but not in your attempted solution.

If you calculate the magnitude of your average acceleration vector what do you get?
The average acceleration vector was 0.795m/s^2 xhat and 1.08m/s^2 yhat. That I was able to calculate.

Michelle027 said:
The average acceleration vector was 0.795m/s^2 xhat and 1.08m/s^2 yhat. That I was able to calculate.
So what is the magnitude of this vector?

I got initial velocity vector 9m by calculating 9cos 45 ( as direction was NE) that gave me 6.36 as x-axis is negative for the direction given I got xhat -6.36 and yhat will then be 6.36 both in m/s.

Final velocity vectors was yhat 15m/s as x is 0 for that direction which was North.

From that I calculated change in velocity vectors as xhat 6.36 m/s plus 8.64 m/s ( 15 minus 6.36)
Dividing both of those velocity vectors by 8 seconds I came to:
Xhat 0.795 m/s^2 + yhat 1.08 m/s^2
(They did ask for theta and I got that as 53.6 degrees just as the example did. )

Can you see a relationship between the vector ##(0.795, 1.08)## and the scalar ##1.34##?

I Have been trying to figure out what they did to get that I even tried to use the original distances - but Iam still trying ... Maybe I am just missing something.

Michelle027 said:
I Have been trying to figure out what they did to get that I even tried to use the original distances - but Iam still trying ... Maybe I am just missing something.

Your last hint is what do you think good old Pythagoras would say?

Likes Michelle027
If I give you the vector ##2\hat x + 3\hat y##, what is the length of that vector?

Likes Michelle027
PeroK said:
Your last hint is what do you think good old Pythagoras would say?
I thank thee with my hat in my hand... I am just apalled that I didnt try Pythagoras... which tells me I do not fully understand this work so I will go and STUDY SOME MORE...

Orodruin said:
If I give you the vector ##2\hat x + 3\hat y##, what is the length of that vector?
This is a Pythagoras one, right? I will use the sum of the squares of 2 and 3 and the square root of the answer of those which will be length of the hypotenuse and thus the length of the vector...

Michelle027 said:
This is a Pythagoras one, right? I will use the sum of the squares of 2 and 3 and the square root of the answer of those which will be length of the hypotenuse and thus the length of the vector...
Right. So you can do the same to your problem.

Likes Michelle027
Orodruin said:
Right. So you can do the same to your problem.
Thank you I appreciate

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over a given period of time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you find average acceleration?

To find average acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and time interval. The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What are some key differences between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

While average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is a scalar quantity, while instantaneous acceleration is a vector quantity. Additionally, average acceleration is calculated using the initial and final velocities, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the derivative of the velocity with respect to time.

4. How do you represent average acceleration using vectors?

Average acceleration can be represented using a vector diagram. The magnitude of the vector represents the average acceleration, while the direction of the vector represents the direction of the average acceleration. The vector is usually drawn from the initial velocity to the final velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of average acceleration?

Some real-life examples of average acceleration include a car accelerating from rest to a certain speed, a person jumping off a diving board and falling into a pool, and a rollercoaster accelerating down a steep slope. Any situation where an object's velocity changes over a period of time involves average acceleration.