Find Axial Force at X: Structural Analysis Problem

In summary, there is a structure with a member BC and point X, where the axial force needs to be found. The solution involves isolating a section from point X to D and using Newton's third law to determine that the axial force is in compression, meaning it should be entered as a negative value. The correct answer is -5.08.
DanRow93

Homework Statement

I have to find axial force at X for the following structure:

https://i.imgur.com/8o01fkC.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

These are my workings
https://imgur.com/JfSfk9Z
https://imgur.com/3HuDN4d

I didn't work out moments because the question only asks for axial force, is that alright? I think I have gone wrong somewhere though, because I haven't used x=1.54m anywhere. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You went through more work than necessary, you could have isolated a section of the right hand part with a cut at x to find the axial force. Your answer looks numerically correct, but is the axial force compression or tension in the member?

PhanthomJay said:
You went through more work than necessary, you could have isolated a section of the right hand part with a cut at x to find the axial force. Your answer looks numerically correct, but is the axial force compression or tension in the member?

Which right hand part do you mean I could have isolated, from point X to C? It would be compression I think, so should be -5.08?

DanRow93 said:
Which right hand part do you mean I could have isolated, from point X to C? It would be compression I think, so should be -5.08?
Isolate from point x to D.
Compression is correct, but why do you say that?

PhanthomJay said:
PhanthomJay said:

I actually don't know, I've confused myself. At point B the axial force along BC is downwards, so axial force in X is opposite which means it should be tension doesn't it?

I put the answer 5.08 into the online test that I had to do and I got it wrong...

DanRow93 said:
I actually don't know, I've confused myself. At point B the axial force along BC is downwards, so axial force in X is opposite which means it should be tension doesn't it
when you isolated the section AB, the vertical force at B acts downward on AB. (Don't rotate the members as you have done, this confuses the issue). Anyway, if the vertical force at B acts downward on AB, then what does Newton's third law tell you about the direction of the vertical force at B on BC?
I put the answer 5.08 into the online test that I had to do and I got it wrong...
the problem statement tells you that a positive value for the axial force in BC indicates tension, implying that compression is entered as a negative value.

Related to Find Axial Force at X: Structural Analysis Problem

1. What is axial force?

Axial force is a type of force that acts along the axis of a structural member, either pushing or pulling it in the direction of its length. It is also known as compression or tension force.

2. How is axial force calculated in structural analysis?

Axial force can be calculated by using the equation F = A x σ, where F is the axial force, A is the cross-sectional area of the member, and σ is the stress acting on the member.

3. What is the significance of finding axial force at a specific location?

Finding the axial force at a specific location is important in structural analysis as it helps determine the amount of stress and strain that a member will experience at that point. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing the stability and strength of a structure.

4. What factors can affect the axial force in a structural member?

The axial force in a structural member can be affected by various factors such as the type and magnitude of external loads, the material properties of the member, and its cross-sectional area. Other factors that can influence the axial force include temperature changes, structural connections, and the presence of other forces acting on the member.

5. How can the axial force at a specific location be determined experimentally?

The axial force at a specific location in a structural member can be determined experimentally by using strain gauges or load cells. These devices can measure the strain or deformation of the member, which can then be used to calculate the axial force using the equation F = A x σ. Other methods such as hydraulic jacks and load cells can also be used to measure the axial force directly.