Find beam stress in a beam with varying cross section

In summary, the person is having trouble calculating the stresses in a beam with a varying cross section. They are seeking tips and resources for solving this problem and have provided a basic sketch of the beam.
Bohr1227

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the stresses in my beam. The cross section varies (shown in the picture), and I don't know how I'm supposed to think to find the maximum stress. I appreciate tips or links to learn how to do it. Thanks. Sorry if the picture is bad, but I hope you understand what I mean.
odin.png

Homework Equations

I don't know what to do when my cross section varies.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do when my cross section varies.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are standard methods for dealing with variable section beams . Have you done any research online or looked in any standard reference books such as Timoshenko or Megson ?

What are the full details of the actual problem that you are dealing with ?

Last edited:
Nidum said:
There are standard methods for dealing with variable section beams . Have you done any research online or looked in any standard reference books such as Timoshenko or Megson ?

What are the full details of the actual problem that you are dealing with ?
Hi, the problem is to design a beam by myself. I don't have any spesific dimensions. The problem is that I don't know how to deal with it when it goes from one cross section to another. I have tried to look it up on online, but didn't find anything. I just know that it should look something like that with a hole for a wheel to roll into.

Thanks! :)

Try posting a 3D sketch of the whole assembly of beam , wheels and any other related components .

Nidum said:
Try posting a 3D sketch of the whole assembly of beam , wheels and any other related components .
Something like this. The forces come from the wheel because they are supporting a weight.
phys.png

What is beam stress?

Beam stress is the internal resistance or force per unit area that a beam experiences when subjected to external loads. It is a measure of the amount of force that the beam can withstand without breaking or deforming.

How is beam stress calculated?

Beam stress is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the beam. In the case of a beam with varying cross section, the cross-sectional area changes along the length of the beam, and the stress at each point can be calculated using the appropriate cross-sectional area at that point.

What factors affect beam stress in a varying cross section beam?

The main factors that affect beam stress in a varying cross section beam are the magnitude and distribution of the external loads, the geometry of the beam (such as its length and cross-sectional shape), and the material properties of the beam (such as its modulus of elasticity and yield strength).

What is the significance of finding beam stress in a varying cross section beam?

Finding the beam stress in a varying cross section beam is important in determining the structural integrity and safety of the beam. It allows engineers to ensure that the beam can withstand the expected loads without failing or deforming excessively.

What are some methods for finding beam stress in a varying cross section beam?

There are several methods for finding beam stress in a varying cross section beam, including analytical methods (such as the method of sections and the moment-area method) and numerical methods (such as finite element analysis). The most appropriate method to use depends on the complexity of the beam and the accuracy required for the analysis.