Find Centre of Mass of a Metal Sheet

In summary: This is where multivariable calculus comes in. Have you had a calculus course which dealt with multiple integrals?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of the center of mass for a thin sheet of metal with uniform thickness, cut into a specific shape bounded by three lines. The formula for center of mass is mentioned, but the question arises as to how to apply it to a continuous mass distribution. The conversation then delves into the use of integration for this scenario and clarifies the use of "mass elements" as actually referring to "area elements." The discussion concludes by mentioning the possibility of using volume elements in a 3D object and the need for multivariable calculus for multiple integrals.
Elena14
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
A thin sheet of metal of uniform thickness is cut into the shape bounded by the line x=a, y=kx^2 and y=-kx^2 . Find coordinates of center of mass.
My attempt at the solution : To apply the formula r(c.m) = (Σm1a1)/Σa1 ; a is the area; we need to know the area but we have just been given the equation of curve. I thought of calculating the area under the graph using integration but even that didn't get me to the answer. Integrating gave the area under one curve = (2*k*a^3)/3
I am not even sure if my approach is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Elena14, Welcome to Physics Forums.

How does your center of mass formula change when the distribution of mass is continuous rather than discrete? In other words, what is the formula when you need to integrate over the object rather than sum contributions from individual lumps of mass?

That formula can be derived when thickness and density is same for a system of particles, and the question talks about cutting shapes from the same piece of metal. So I thought it will work.
ps: I am not exactly sure what you mean?

Elena14 said:
That formula can be derived when thickness and density is same for a system of particles, and the question talks about cutting shapes from the same piece of metal. So I thought it will work.
ps: I am not exactly sure what you mean?

When the scenario is a system of discrete particles you find the center of mass using a summation formula, summing the contributions of each particle. When the scenario is a continuous mass distribution you need to use integration instead. How does the formula look in that form? What comprises the "mass elements" in that case?

But then how else can that equation y=kx^2 be used in the question if not for calculating area?

Elena14 said:
But then how else can that equation y=kx^2 be used in the question if not for calculating area?
It's also used to form the differential mass area elements (dm dA) that you will be using in the center of mass formula.
Fig1.png

[Edit: Updated the text and image to indicate area elements rather than mass elements]

Last edited:
Likes Elena14
I am reattempting the question using ∫x dm/ ∫ dm but what should I substitute with x?

Elena14 said:
I am reattempting the question but I am confused as to what should be dx!
dx is the differential length element of x. You'll be integrating over x.

I am reattempting the question using ∫x dm/ ∫ dm but what should I substitute with x?

Okay, perhaps I made a poor choice by calling "dm" a mass element since in this case we are dealing with areas (no mass density for the material was supplied). So think of the dm's as area elements. They have a width dx. What's their length?

That's what I am struggling with.

Can you provide me with a more comprehensible hint to this?

Elena14 said:
That's what I am struggling with.
Study the diagram I supplied. You should be able find the area of the dm element. What's its width and height? For integrating the area elements they are approximated as rectangles.

Is the area of the dm element kx^2 * dx

Elena14 said:
Is the area of the dm element kx^2 * dx
Almost, you've only accounted for half its total height (from the x-axis to the upper curve).

By the way, I've updated the image in post #6 to reflect that we're summing area elements in this case, not mass elements. Sorry if there was any confusion there.

Alright, so dm is 2kx^2 * dx. Integrating using the formula ∫x dm/ ∫ dm with limits 0 to a, we get 3a/4 which is the answer. But how do we find out that dm is the area element and not the length element.

dm is an area element because it was defined as the width (dx) multiplied by the height (2 kx2), which is a rectangular area. The integration limits are determined by the boundaries defined in the problem. The object is bounded on the right by the line x = a.

Thank you so much. You have been a great help.

Elena14 said:
Thank you so much. You have been a great help.
No problem! Glad to help.

Could not we have taken a smaller element dm which will be only defined as the length so we don't have to go into that "area element" ? What would be wrong with that? And is there a thing such as a volume element as well?

Elena14 said:
Could not we have taken a smaller element dm which will be only defined as the length so we don't have to go into that "area element" ? What would be wrong with that?
A line, with no width, would not have an area. The 2D center of mass (area) formula depends upon finding a weighted sum of the area elements and dividing it by the total area. You might also consider that the differential width "dx" is about as narrow (line-like) as you can get without it not existing at all. dx → 0 in the limit.
And is there a thing such as a volume element as well?
Yes indeed. This happens when you have a 3D object. Then you have double or triple integrals to deal with.

1. How do you determine the centre of mass of a metal sheet?

The centre of mass of a metal sheet can be determined by finding the balance point where the sheet would balance perfectly on a single point. This can be done using a balance or by calculating the average position of all the mass in the sheet.

2. Why is finding the centre of mass important?

Knowing the centre of mass of a metal sheet is important for understanding its stability and balance. It is also crucial for designing structures or machines that use the sheet as a component, as it helps determine the distribution of weight and the best placement of supports.

3. What factors can affect the centre of mass of a metal sheet?

The centre of mass of a metal sheet can be affected by its shape, size, and distribution of mass. Any additional objects attached to the sheet can also alter its centre of mass.

4. Is the centre of mass always located within the boundaries of the metal sheet?

No, the centre of mass may not always be located within the boundaries of the metal sheet. It can be located outside of the sheet if the distribution of mass is uneven or if there are additional objects attached to the sheet.

5. Can the centre of mass of a metal sheet change?

Yes, the centre of mass of a metal sheet can change if the distribution of mass is altered. For example, if a piece of the sheet is cut off or if an additional object is attached, the centre of mass will shift accordingly.