Find Confidence Interval w/o Formula: Uniform Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a confidence interval for a set of numbers and the use of a formula to compute it. The practical example provided shows how to obtain the confidence interval, with a 95% confidence interval requiring a Z value of 1.96 and a 98% confidence interval requiring a different value. The conversation also mentions the need for a confidence interval for the uniform and bernoulli distributions, but it is not clear if the same formula can be used for these distributions.
lildrea88
i am given a set of numbers. I have already found the mean, standard deviation, etc.
i am now asked to find the confidence interval. but was not given a formula in order to compute this. does anyone know one?

Physics news on Phys.org
write it in terms of the mean (that u shaped thing in the normalization eqation), choose the correct value of Z for the confidence interval they give.

95% confidence interval ==> z=1.96 (for 2 tails)

98% confidence is something like , i don't know off by heart, check the normal table

cloud360 said:
write it in terms of the mean (that u shaped thing in the normalization eqation), choose the correct value of Z for the confidence interval they give.

95% confidence interval ==> z=1.96 (for 2 tails)

98% confidence is something like , i don't know off by heart, check the normal table

So you want P(-1.96<Z<1.96) and you know that Z = (X-μ)/(σ/√n)

so in all you want the CI to be

P(-1.96<(X-μ)/(σ/√n)<1.96)

i need a confidence interval for the uniform and bernoulli distribution...sorry i should have said that before

lildrea88 said:
i need a confidence interval for the uniform and bernoulli distribution...sorry i should have said that before

I can't really recall if it is the same for those distribution, but you can approximate them to a normal distribution.

Related to Find Confidence Interval w/o Formula: Uniform Distribution

1. What is a confidence interval in a uniform distribution?

A confidence interval in a uniform distribution is a range of values that is likely to contain the true mean of the population with a certain level of confidence. It is a statistical measure that is used to estimate the unknown parameter of a population based on a sample from that population.

2. How do you find a confidence interval in a uniform distribution without using a formula?

To find a confidence interval in a uniform distribution without using a formula, you can use a statistical software or an online calculator. These tools use the sample data to calculate the confidence interval and provide the results. Alternatively, you can manually calculate the confidence interval using the sample mean and standard deviation.

3. What is the significance of a confidence level in a uniform distribution?

The confidence level in a uniform distribution represents the level of certainty or probability that the true mean of the population falls within the calculated confidence interval. It is usually expressed as a percentage, and a higher confidence level indicates a narrower interval and a more precise estimate of the population mean.

4. What factors can affect the width of a confidence interval in a uniform distribution?

The width of a confidence interval in a uniform distribution can be affected by several factors, including the sample size, the variability of the data, and the chosen confidence level. A larger sample size and lower variability will result in a narrower interval, while a higher confidence level will result in a wider interval.

5. What is the relationship between confidence level and confidence interval in a uniform distribution?

The confidence level and confidence interval in a uniform distribution are inversely related. This means that as the confidence level increases, the confidence interval becomes wider, and as the confidence level decreases, the interval becomes narrower. This trade-off between precision and certainty is an important consideration when interpreting the results of a confidence interval.