Find Current in RC Circuit w/ V=Vo Sin(ωt)

In summary, the conversation discusses a given circuit and its current calculations using complex analysis. The impedance, current phasor, and voltage are all involved in the solution, and the source voltage is corrected to (e^iwc - e^-iwc)/2. The speaker also expresses uncertainty about the correctness of their solution and the assumption that Ir is in phase with V.
TheEvenfall
Hello there, I'm not sure if my solution is correct for [itex]\hat{I}_{C}[/itex]

Homework Statement

In the given circuit, calculate the current in each circuit element given that V = V[itex]_{o}[/itex]sin(ωt)
R, L and C are given.
http://imgur.com/yO3flg8

Homework Equations

Z = R + jX (j[itex]^{2}[/itex] = -1)
X[itex]_{L}[/itex] = jωL
X[itex]_{C}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-j}{ωC}[/itex]
[itex]\hat{V}[/itex] = V[itex]_{o}[/itex]e[itex]^{jωt}[/itex]
[itex]\hat{I}[/itex] = I[itex]_{o}[/itex]e[itex]^{j(ωt-ø)}[/itex]
I[itex]_{o}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{V_{}}{|Z|}[/itex]
tan(ø) = [itex]\frac{\Im(Z)}{\Re(Z)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First for the impedance, [itex]1/Z_{XL} = 1/X_{L} + 1/X_{C}[/itex]
[itex] Z_{XL} = j\frac{ωL}{1- ω^{2}CL} [/itex]
[itex] Z = R + Z_{XL} = R + j\frac{ωL}{1- ω^{2}CL} [/itex]
The current phasor in the resistor R: [itex]\hat{I_{R}}[/itex]= [itex]\hat{I}[/itex]= [itex]\hat{I_{C}} + \hat{I_{L}}[/itex]
[itex]\hat{V_{C}} = \hat{V} - \hat{V_{R}} [/itex]
[itex]\hat{I_{C}} = (\hat{V} - \hat{V_{R}} )/X_{C}[/itex]
[itex]\hat{I_{C}} = (V_{o}e^{jωt} - I_{o}e^{j(ωt-ø)})(jωc) = V_{o}ωCe^{jwt}(1-\frac{R}{|Z|}e^{-jø})(j) [/itex]
[itex]\hat{I_{C}} = V_{o}ωCe^{j(ωt+\pi/2)}(1-\frac{R}{|Z|}e^{-jø})[/itex] ø and |Z| are known.
And[itex]I_{L}[/itex] can be found the same way.
I'm not entirely sure my solution is correct. Also, since [itex]I_{R}[/itex] is always in phase with V, does that mean that ø is 0? If so, then tan(ø) is also 0 but that would mean that either ω or L are 0...

Note: sorry if it seems slobby and for the skipped steps, my exam is in less than 3 hours and I'm really nervous and running out of time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck with your exam! Don't worry too much about this last exercise. The assumption Ir is in phase with V seems incorrect to me.

well I'm still working through it, but one thing I want to point out is your source voltage is wrong. e^iwc =cos(wc) +isin(wc)
if you want to use eulers id. you want (e^iwc - e^-iwc)/2 , but that seems unnecessary, i'd just keep it v_s or something until you have your final answer, then sub in V(not)sin(wt). also it looks like complex analysis only? no time dependent ? just wondering.

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is used to control the flow of electrical current and is commonly found in electronic devices such as radios and televisions.

What is the role of the voltage in an RC circuit?

Voltage (V) is the driving force that causes current to flow in an RC circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the letter V in equations.

What does Vo Sin(ωt) represent in the equation for finding current in an RC circuit?

Vo Sin(ωt) is the input voltage in the form of a sine wave with amplitude Vo and angular frequency ω. This represents the alternating current (AC) source that is connected to the RC circuit.

How do you calculate the current in an RC circuit with a sinusoidal input?

The current (I) in an RC circuit can be calculated using the equation I = (Vo/R) * Sin(ωt) where Vo is the input voltage, R is the resistance of the resistor, and ω is the angular frequency of the input voltage. This equation is based on Ohm's Law (V=IR) and the relationship between voltage and current in a capacitor (I = C * dV/dt).

What factors affect the current in an RC circuit with a sinusoidal input?

The current in an RC circuit is affected by several factors such as the amplitude and frequency of the input voltage, the resistance of the resistor, and the capacitance of the capacitor. Additionally, the phase difference between the voltage and current, as well as the initial charge on the capacitor, can also impact the current in the circuit.