Find Current with Kirchhoff's Rules

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem where the person is checking if their answers are correct. The problem involves finding the number of junction points and arms, as well as calculating the currents in each arm using Kirchhoff's Rules. The person has correctly labeled the points and determined the direction of current flow. The final answer for the currents are I1 = 13/54 A, I2 = 23/108 A, and I3 = 1/36 A.
musiliu

Homework Statement

I just need to check if my answers are correct

[PLAIN]http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5139/physicsproblem.jpg

a) Find # of junction points
b) Find # of arms
c) Find currents in all arms by applying Kirchhoff's Rules

Homework Equations

Current in = Current out
Potential difference of all loops = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I labeled the points starting from bottom of V2 A and going clockwise to the left B, etc. and label I is the middle point above V2

a) #junction points = 2 A,E
b) #arms = 3 ABCDE, AHGFE, AIE i marked direction of current in opposite direction for current ABCDE, and the positive(same) direction for the other 2 currents
c) I1 = 13/54 A
I2 = 23/108 A
I3 = 1/36 A

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good :smile:

Related to Find Current with Kirchhoff's Rules

1. What are Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules, also known as Kirchhoff's Laws, are two principles that are used to analyze electrical circuits and determine the flow of current. They are commonly used in circuit analysis and are fundamental to understanding the behavior of electrical circuits.

2. What is the first rule of Kirchhoff's Rules?

The first rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit must be equal to the sum of currents leaving that node. This is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

3. What is the second rule of Kirchhoff's Rules?

The second rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of voltage rises. This is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

4. How do I use Kirchhoff's Rules to find the current in a circuit?

To use Kirchhoff's Rules to find the current in a circuit, you first need to draw the circuit diagram and label the currents and voltages. Then, apply Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to create a system of equations. Solve the equations to find the unknown currents.

5. What are some common applications of Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules are used in a variety of applications, including designing and analyzing electrical circuits, troubleshooting circuit problems, and predicting the behavior of complex circuits. They are also important in fields such as electronics, telecommunications, and power systems engineering.