Find distance traveled given electric field + vf and vi

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the distance an electron moves relative to an electron field, given its initial and final velocities and charge. The first attempt at a solution involves using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, but the reasoning is flawed. The second approach, using forces and the equation vf^2=vi^2 +2ad, is suggested as a better solution. However, the issue of the relation between final kinetic and potential energy is also brought up.
Shaif

Homework Statement

Electric field= 425 N/C
Vf = 3.25x10^5 m/S
VI=0
The charge is an electron

Homework Equations

An electron gun had a uniform electric field. The electron starts from rest and is fired from the gun, reaching a speed of (vf given above). How far does the electron move relative to the electron field?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ek = .5 mv^2
Electric pot. Energy = -qed
Find intial energy at the end of the motion using .5mvf^2 then use it to solve for d by plugging it into Ee= -qed where D is the distance travelled?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not exactly, but close. What is your reasoning in putting Ekin = Epot?

Orodruin said:
Not exactly, but close. What is your reasoning in putting Ekin = Epot?
I'm assuming that the vf equals the electrons energy at the end is a complete energy transfer.

But I've talked to another teacher and what I should be doing is apparently this :

Fe= we
Fnet=ma
Fe=Fnet
Isolate for a
a=qe/m
Vf^2=vi^2 +2ad
Solve for D.
I believe this is righr

Shaif said:
I'm assuming that the vf equals the electrons energy at the end is a complete
I suggest you write down exactly what you would get and exactly what your motivation is for it to hold in terms of mathematical expressions. You can use energy arguments, but the way you have presented yours makes me suspect that you have a basic flaw in your reasoning. What do you get when you try to solve the problem?

Orodruin said:
I suggest you write down exactly what you would get and exactly what your motivation is for it to hold in terms of mathematical expressions. You can use energy arguments, but the way you have presented yours makes me suspect that you have a basic flaw in your reasoning. What do you get when you try to solve the problem?
If the flaw is that Eeinitial =/= Ekfinal but rather Eeinitial =/= Ekfinal + Eefinal but I'm assuming Ee is pretty much 0 but I can see how there's a flaw in that reasoning. That's why I guess the second approach where I use forces to calculate the acceleration and use vf^2=vi^2 +2ad would be a lot better

Shaif said:
If the flaw is that Eeinitial =/= Ekfinal but rather Eeinitial =/= Ekfinal + Eefinal
The total energy is conserved, but what does that tell you about the relation between the final kinetic energy and the final potential energy? The energy argument is much cleaner and simpler than the force argument.

1. How do you calculate distance traveled given electric field, initial velocity, and final velocity?

To calculate distance traveled, you can use the equation d = (vf^2 - vi^2) / 2a, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and a is the electric field. This equation is derived from the kinematic equation for displacement.

2. Can you explain the concept of electric field and how it affects distance traveled?

The electric field is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the electric force on a charged particle at any given point in space. It is created by charged particles and can affect the motion of other charged particles, causing them to accelerate. Therefore, the electric field can affect the distance traveled by an object with an initial velocity by changing its acceleration.

3. What are the units of electric field and how do they relate to distance?

The units of electric field are Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). This means that for every Coulomb of charge, there is a force of one Newton acting on it. The electric field can determine the acceleration of a charged particle, which in turn affects the distance it travels.

4. Is there a special case for distance traveled when the electric field is zero?

Yes, when the electric field is zero, there is no force acting on the charged particle. This means that the particle will continue to travel at a constant velocity, and the distance traveled can be calculated using the equation d = v*t, where v is the constant velocity and t is time.

5. How does the direction of the electric field affect distance traveled?

The direction of the electric field will affect the direction of the acceleration of the charged particle. This, in turn, will affect the direction of its velocity and the distance it travels. If the electric field and the initial velocity are in the same direction, the distance traveled will be greater, and if they are in opposite directions, the distance traveled will be less.