Find Drift Speed of Electrons in Copper Wire | Tom

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the drift speed of electrons in a copper wire with given parameters such as length, temperature, current, and resistance. The solution involves using equations for charge carriers, resistivity, and current to calculate the drift speed, which is found to be 9.2 x 10^-5 m/s. The individual asking for help confirms they are on the right track with their solution.
tom_paine

Homework Statement

I’m trying to find the drift speed of electrons in a copper wire. The length of the wire is 10 meters, temp is 60°C, current is 5 A and the total resistance of the wire is 0.05 ohms.

Homework Equations

# of charge carriers (n) = density * 6.02 x 10^23/molar mass

R = pL/A, where p = resistivity of the wire, L = length and A = area

p = po[1+α(T-To)], where α = temp coefficient of resistivity at 20°C, po = resistivity at 20°C, and T= temp

I = nqAVd

The Attempt at a Solution

n = (8920 kg/m^3)(6.02 x 10^23)/(0.0635 kg/mol)
n= 8.5 x 10^28

p = 1.7 x 10^-8 [1 + 3.9 x 10^-3(60-20)]
p= 2.0 x 10^-8

Area = pL/R
= 2.0 x 10^-8 * 10/0.05
= 4 x 10^-6

Vd = I/nqA
= 5/(8.5 x 10^28 * 1.6 x 10^-19 * 4 x 10^-6)
= 9.2 x 10^-5 m/s

I just want to know if I’m on the right track.

Thanks,

Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
You did it well, nice work!

ehild

Thanks for the reply! I thought I got it right, but the book I got the problem from is missing the solutions page, so I wasn't 100% sure.

Tom

What is the purpose of finding the drift speed of electrons in copper wire?

The purpose of finding the drift speed of electrons in copper wire is to understand the behavior and movement of electrons within a conducting material. This information can be used to analyze and improve the efficiency of electrical circuits.

How is the drift speed of electrons in copper wire calculated?

The drift speed of electrons in copper wire can be calculated using the formula v = I / (nqA), where v is the drift speed, I is the current, n is the number of electrons per unit volume, q is the charge of an electron, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

What factors affect the drift speed of electrons in copper wire?

The drift speed of electrons in copper wire can be affected by several factors, including the type of material, temperature, and the size and shape of the wire. Additionally, the presence of impurities and defects in the wire can also impact the drift speed.

Why is copper commonly used in electrical wiring?

Copper is commonly used in electrical wiring due to its high electrical conductivity and low resistance, making it an efficient material for conducting electricity. It is also relatively inexpensive and readily available.

How is the drift speed of electrons in copper wire measured?

The drift speed of electrons in copper wire can be measured using various techniques such as the Hall effect, which measures the voltage produced when a magnetic field is applied to the wire, or the four-point probe method, which measures the resistance of the wire and uses Ohm's law to calculate the drift speed.