Find eccentricity of orbit after star has lost mass

In summary, when the mass of a star is suddenly decreased while a planet with mass m is in a circular orbit around it, the planet will now follow an elliptical orbit with a shifted minimum of the effective potential and increased kinetic energy. The semi-axis of the ellipse can be calculated using the radius of the circular orbit and the angular momentum is conserved. The relation between energy, eccentricity, and angular momentum can be used to calculate the eccentricity of the new elliptical orbit.
refractor

Homework Statement

Initially, a planet with mass m moves on a circular orbit (r = R) around a star with mass M. Now M is instantaneously decreased to M'. Find the eccentricity e of the elliptical orbit the planet now follows.

Homework Equations

specific angular momentum l = L/m

[itex]\frac{\mbox{total energy}~ E}{m} = \frac{1}{2}v_r^2 + \frac{1}{2}\frac{l^2}{r^2} - \frac{γM}{r}[/itex]

The effective potential is:

[itex]V_{eff}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{l^2}{r^2} - \frac{γM}{r}[/itex]

click

The Attempt at a Solution

The mimimum of the effective potential is at R. But then as M->M' the minimum is shifted upwards and to the right. Energy is not conserved: the potential becomes less negative and kinetic energy also increases

The radius of the circular orbit R provides us with the semi-axis b of the ellipse, because at the moment of mass loss M -> M' the planet will leave it's circular orbit and enter the elliptical orbit at perihelion. The circle lies exactly inside the ellipse.

The mass loss does not effect angular momentum because the gradient of the potential is parallel to r, so the force responsible for the change of orbit is also only acting parallel to r.

[itex]l_{circle} = R^2 \omega[/itex]

Now I have to find a relation between l and e, but I'm stuck on how to calculate the angular momentum of the elliptical orbit. I don't even know it's period. Thanks for reading!
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Check "Kepler problem" on wikipedia.

See here the relation between the energy, eccentricity and angular momentum of the motion.

sorry, this relation is known but it doesn't solve the problem. Could anybody help?

That is precisely the relation you need... just look at the derivation a little longer.

For the angular momentum is conserved, so you just need to calculate the angular momentum in the first case with the circular orbit. (suppose the star is fixed ...)

This is simply:

[tex]L=mR^2\omega[/tex]

Where the angular velocity can simply be calculated (circular motion provided by gravity):

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{\gamma M}{R^2}}[/tex]

Use this to find the angular momentum ... and then use the relation...

I think I still haven't understood. I'd say it's

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{\gamma M}{R^3}}[/tex]

and thus

[tex]L = m\sqrt{\gamma M R}[/tex]

In my first post I wrote angular momentum is conserved, but why does it depend on M?
And provided we are talking about this formula:

[tex]e = \sqrt{1 + \frac{2EL^{2}}{k^{2}m}}[/tex]

...how would it help me to calculate the eccentricity? Total energy E is not conserved and is thus not a constant in this equation.

1. How does the mass of a star affect the eccentricity of its orbit?

The mass of a star plays a crucial role in determining the eccentricity of its orbit. As the star loses mass, its gravitational pull on the orbiting body decreases, resulting in a more elongated orbit with a higher eccentricity.

2. Is there a specific formula for calculating the eccentricity of an orbit after a star has lost mass?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the eccentricity of an orbit after a star has lost mass. It is given by: e = (1 - m/M) x e0, where e is the new eccentricity, m is the mass lost by the star, M is the initial mass of the star, and e0 is the initial eccentricity of the orbit.

3. How do we know if a star has lost mass and how much?

We can determine if a star has lost mass by observing its spectral lines, which can indicate the presence of elements that are typically found in the outer layers of a star. The amount of mass lost can be estimated by comparing the current mass of the star to its initial mass.

4. Can the eccentricity of an orbit change after a star has lost mass?

Yes, the eccentricity of an orbit can change after a star has lost mass. As the star loses mass, the gravitational force between the star and the orbiting body decreases, which can result in changes to the shape and size of the orbit, and therefore the eccentricity.

5. Are there any other factors besides mass loss that can affect the eccentricity of an orbit?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the eccentricity of an orbit. Some of these include the presence of other bodies in the system, the orientation of the orbit, and external gravitational influences from nearby stars or galactic structures.