Find Eigenvalues of 4x4 Matrix with -1 & 3 Entries

• MHB
  • Thread starter A.Magnus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, we can use the determinant and trace properties of a diagonal matrix to find the eigenvalues.
A.Magnus
Could anyone help me figure out the eigenvalues of a $4 \times 4$ matrix, with all entries being $-1$ except the entries of non-main diagonal being $3$?

$$ A =
\begin{pmatrix}
3 &-1 &-1 &-1\\
-1 &3 &-1 &-1\\
-1 &-1 &3 &-1\\
-1 &-1 &-1 &3\\
\end{pmatrix}$$

For small matrices, I would use characteristic equation $|A - \lambda I| = 0$ without hesitation, but this matrix is too big. Thank you before hand for your gracious helping hand and time. ~MA

Physics news on Phys.org
MaryAnn said:
Could anyone help me figure out the eigenvalues of a $4 \times 4$ matrix, with all entries being $-1$ except the entries of non-main diagonal being $3$?

$$ A =
\begin{pmatrix}
3 &-1 &-1 &-1\\
-1 &3 &-1 &-1\\
-1 &-1 &3 &-1\\
-1 &-1 &-1 &3\\
\end{pmatrix}$$

For small matrices, I would use characteristic equation $|A - \lambda I| = 0$ without hesitation, but this matrix is too big. Thank you before hand for your gracious helping hand and time. ~MA

The matrix you have written has 3s on the MAIN diagonal...

If you don't want to use the characteristic equation (which will still work) you could diagonalise the matrix. Then use the fact that the determinant of a diagonal matrix is equal to the product of the terms on the main diagonal...

Hey MaryAnn! (Wave)

Well, with a computer we can do singular value decomposition, but I believe that by hand the characteristic equation is as easy as it gets.
And we have Wolfram|Alpha to help us.

We do have the properties that the trace (sum of the elements on the diagonal) is equal to the sum of the eigenvalues.
And the determinant is equal to the product of the eigenvalues.
So we can use that to verify we didn't make a mistake.

Actually, we can use those properties to find the eigenvalues of $$\begin{bmatrix}3&-1\\-1&3\end{bmatrix}$$
So we have that $t_1+t_2=3+3=6$ and $t_1 t_2 = 3\cdot 3- -1 \cdot -1= 8$.
Now we can formulate it as the quadratic equation $t^2 - 6t +8=0$.
That's because the sum of the roots of $x^2+bx+c=0$ is $-b$ and the product of the roots is $c$.
Solving it gives us $t_1=2,t_2=4$. (Cool)

Prove It said:
The matrix you have written has 3s on the MAIN diagonal...

If you don't want to use the characteristic equation (which will still work) you could diagonalise the matrix. Then use the fact that the determinant of a diagonal matrix is equal to the product of the terms on the main diagonal...

I am sorry for the mixed up! It was indeed the MAIN diagonal. Your idea about diagonalizing the matrix is very interesting, but my textbook says that to diagonalize a matrix, first you need to find out its eigenvalue first? Am I getting mixed up again here? Am not getting correct again? Let me know and thanks for your gracious help and time, as always. ~MA

I like Serena said:
Hey MaryAnn! (Wave)

Well, with a computer we can do singular value decomposition, but I believe that by hand the characteristic equation is as easy as it gets.
And we have Wolfram|Alpha to help us.

We do have the properties that the trace (sum of the elements on the diagonal) is equal to the sum of the eigenvalues.
And the determinant is equal to the product of the eigenvalues.
So we can use that to verify we didn't make a mistake.

Actually, we can use those properties to find the eigenvalues of $$\begin{bmatrix}3&-1\\-1&3\end{bmatrix}$$
So we have that $t_1+t_2=3+3=6$ and $t_1 t_2 = 3\cdot 3- -1 \cdot -1= 8$.
Now we can formulate it as the quadratic equation $t^2 - 6t +8=0$.
That's because the sum of the roots of $x^2+bx+c=0$ is $-b$ and the product of the roots is $c$.
Solving it gives us $t_1=2,t_2=4$. (Cool)

As always, many thanks to your hints. I saw from your link that the characteristic polynomial is

$$\lambda^4 - 12 \lambda^3 + 48 \lambda^2 - 64 \lambda,$$

but how do you break it down to its determinant and trace? In other words, what is the general characteristic polynomial for a $4 \times 4$ matrix? I have been looking up for help from this Wikipedia site, but I am still getting confused. Any more help? Thank again for your gracious help and time, as always. ~MA

I think that the simplest way to do this is to use elementary row (or column) operations on the determinant. You want to calculate $$|A-\lambda I| = \begin{vmatrix}3 - \lambda &-1 &-1 &-1\\ -1 &3 - \lambda &-1 &-1\\ -1 &-1 &3 - \lambda &-1\\ -1 &-1 &-1 &3 - \lambda\\ \end{vmatrix}.$$ Add all the other rows to the top row, and this becomes $$|A-\lambda I| = \begin{vmatrix}- \lambda &- \lambda &- \lambda &- \lambda \\ -1 &3 - \lambda &-1 &-1\\ -1 &-1 &3 - \lambda &-1\\ -1 &-1 &-1 &3 - \lambda\\ \end{vmatrix}.$$ Now you can take a factor $-\lambda$ out of the top row, to get $$|A-\lambda I| = -\lambda\begin{vmatrix}1&1&1&1\\ -1 &3 - \lambda &-1 &-1\\ -1 &-1 &3 - \lambda &-1\\ -1 &-1 &-1 &3 - \lambda\\ \end{vmatrix}.$$ The next step will be to subtract the left column from each of the other columns. The top row will then become $1\ 0\ 0\ 0$, so you can easily expand the determinant along the top row. Continue in that way, and you will get the characteristic equation (in an already factorised form).

Opalg said:
I think that the simplest way to do this is to use elementary row (or column) operations on the determinant. You want to calculate $$|A-\lambda I| = \begin{vmatrix}3 - \lambda &-1 &-1 &-1\\ -1 &3 - \lambda &-1 &-1\\ -1 &-1 &3 - \lambda &-1\\ -1 &-1 &-1 &3 - \lambda\\ \end{vmatrix}.$$ Add all the other rows to the top row, and this becomes $$|A-\lambda I| = \begin{vmatrix}- \lambda &- \lambda &- \lambda &- \lambda \\ -1 &3 - \lambda &-1 &-1\\ -1 &-1 &3 - \lambda &-1\\ -1 &-1 &-1 &3 - \lambda\\ \end{vmatrix}.$$ Now you can take a factor $-\lambda$ out of the top row, to get $$|A-\lambda I| = -\lambda\begin{vmatrix}1&1&1&1\\ -1 &3 - \lambda &-1 &-1\\ -1 &-1 &3 - \lambda &-1\\ -1 &-1 &-1 &3 - \lambda\\ \end{vmatrix}.$$ The next step will be to subtract the left column from each of the other columns. The top row will then become $1\ 0\ 0\ 0$, so you can easily expand the determinant along the top row. Continue in that way, and you will get the characteristic equation (in an already factorised form).

I think this solution is the one, the best one! Wish I could thank you twice! Again and again, thanks for all your graciousness! ~MA

MaryAnn said:
I am sorry for the mixed up! It was indeed the MAIN diagonal. Your idea about diagonalizing the matrix is very interesting, but my textbook says that to diagonalize a matrix, first you need to find out its eigenvalue first? Am I getting mixed up again here? Am not getting correct again? Let me know and thanks for your gracious help and time, as always. ~MA

I meant using row operations on the matrix itself until it is upper triangularised...

Prove It said:
I meant using row operations on the matrix itself until it is upper triangularised...

Thank you. ~MA

Related to Find Eigenvalues of 4x4 Matrix with -1 & 3 Entries

1. How do I find the eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix with -1 and 3 entries?

To find the eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix with -1 and 3 entries, you can use the characteristic polynomial method. First, calculate the determinant of the matrix by subtracting the diagonal entries from each other and multiplying the results. Then, set the determinant equal to 0 and solve for lambda. The values of lambda that satisfy this equation are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

2. What if the matrix has multiple eigenvalues?

If the matrix has multiple eigenvalues, you will need to find the eigenvectors associated with each eigenvalue. This can be done by solving the system of equations (A - λI)x = 0, where A is the original matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and x is the eigenvector. Repeat this process for each eigenvalue to find all the eigenvectors.

3. Can I use software to find the eigenvalues?

Yes, there are many software programs and online calculators that can find the eigenvalues of a matrix for you. However, it is important to understand the mathematical process behind finding eigenvalues in order to use these tools effectively.

4. How do I interpret the eigenvalues of a matrix?

The eigenvalues of a matrix represent the scaling factor for the corresponding eigenvectors. If an eigenvalue is 0, it means that the corresponding eigenvector is a zero vector and has no effect on the matrix. If an eigenvalue is negative, it means that the corresponding eigenvector causes a reflection in the matrix. If an eigenvalue is positive, it means that the corresponding eigenvector causes a stretch or compression in the matrix.

5. What is the significance of finding eigenvalues in a matrix?

Finding eigenvalues in a matrix is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It can help determine the stability of a system, find solutions to differential equations, and identify key features of a matrix such as its diagonalization and invertibility. Eigenvalues also have applications in physics, engineering, and computer science.