Find f'(x): 1/(1-4X) Homework Solution

• Thread starter cdoss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of a given function using the definition of a derivative. The final answer is -1/(1-4x)^2, which is derived using the chain rule. The conversation also clarifies the difference between taking the derivative with respect to x and taking the derivative of a fraction.
cdoss

Homework Statement

Use the definition of a derivitive to find f'(x).
f(x)=1/(1-4X)

Homework Equations

Lim as h approaches 0 [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is supposed to be -1/(1-4X)2 but I keep getting 4/(1-4X)2. This is what I have done so far (I hope this isn't too hard to understand):

f'(x)= (1/(1-4(x+h))-(1/(1-4x)))/h
= ((1-4x-(1-4(x+h)))/((1-4(x+h))(1-4x)))/h
= ((1-4x-1+4x+4h)/((1-4(x+h))(1-4x)))/h
*cancel the numerator values*
=(4h)/((1-4(x+h))(1-4x))/h
*divide by 1/h and let h=0*
=4/(1-4(x-0))(1-4x)
=4/(1-4X)2

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
cdoss said:

Homework Statement

Use the definition of a derivitive to find f'(x).
f(x)=1/(1-4X)

Homework Equations

Lim as h approaches 0 [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer is supposed to be -1/(1-4X)2 but I keep getting 4/(1-4X)2. This is what I have done so far (I hope this isn't too hard to understand):

f'(x)= (1/(1-4(x+h))-(1/(1-4x)))/h
= ((1-4x-(1-4(x+h)))/((1-4(x+h))(1-4x)))/h
= ((1-4x-1+4x+4h)/((1-4(x+h))(1-4x)))/h
*cancel the numerator values*
=(4h)/((1-4(x+h))(1-4x))/h
*divide by 1/h and let h=0*
=4/(1-4(x-0))(1-4x)
=4/(1-4X)2

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing - that's the right answer.

BTW, you don't take "f'(x) of a fraction" as you have in the title. You can take the derivative with respect to x of a fraction (in symbols, d/dx(f(x)) ), but f'(x) already represents the derivative of some function f.

The derivative of 1/u, with respect to u, is -1/u^2. But that "4" in the numerator is from the chain rule. If u is a function of x, the derivative of 1/u, with respect to x is (-1/u^2) du/dx. Here, u= 1- 4x so du/dx= -4. The derivative of 1/(1- 4x), with respect to x, is -1/(1- 4x)^2(-4)= 4/(1- 4x)^2

oh, ok so it's right. I did that problem six times because I thought I was doing it wrong haha thank you! and also thank you for correcting me on the terms! :)

HallsofIvy said:
The derivative of 1/u, with respect to u, is -1/u^2. But that "4" in the numerator is from the chain rule. If u is a function of x, the derivative of 1/u, with respect to x is (-1/u^2) du/dx. Here, u= 1- 4x so du/dx= -4. The derivative of 1/(1- 4x), with respect to x, is -1/(1- 4x)^2(-4)= 4/(1- 4x)^2

oh yeah the chain rule! i definitely need to remember that! thanks!

Related to Find f'(x): 1/(1-4X) Homework Solution

1. What is the function f(x) in the given problem?

The function f(x) is 1/(1-4x).

2. What is the derivative of f(x)?

The derivative of f(x) is f'(x) = 4/(1-4x)^2.

3. How do you solve for f'(x)?

To solve for f'(x), you can use the power rule for derivatives, which states that the derivative of x^n is nx^(n-1). In this case, n = -1, so f'(x) = -1(1-4x)^(-1-1) = -1/(1-4x)^2 = 4/(1-4x)^2.

4. What is the domain of f'(x)?

The domain of f'(x) is all real numbers except x = 1/4, since the denominator cannot equal 0.

5. How can this derivative be applied in real-world situations?

This derivative can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating the velocity of an object in motion or determining the rate of change in a chemical reaction. It can also be used in economic and financial analysis to find the marginal cost or revenue of a product.