I need some help with implicit differentiaiton.

In summary: I solved c) by using the quadratic formula to solve for y in x^4+y^2+y-3=0. Then applying the chain rule in the result of y gives -(4x^3)/√-4x^4+13. But it must give the same as a)= -4x^3/2y+1. Where am I failing at? How can I solve it?I'm not sure what you are asking.
KFSKSS
Member has been warned not to delete the template.
Hello. My problem is as follows: Suppose x^4+y^2+y-3=0. a) Compute dy/dx by implicit differentiation. b) What is dy/dx when x=1 and y=1? c) Solve for y in terms of x (by the quadratic formula) and compute dy/dx directly. Compare with your answer in part a).
I solved a) and b). a)=-4x^3/2y+1, and b)=-4/3. I'm stuck at c). This is what I've been doing: Using the quadratic formula to solve for y in x^4+y^2+y-3=0 gives y=(-1±√-4x^4+13)/2. Then applying the chain rule in the result of y gives -(4x^3)/√-4x^4+13. But it must give the same as a)= -4x^3/2y+1. Where am I failing at? How can I solve it?
Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
KFSKSS said:
Hello. My problem is as follows: Suppose x^4+y^2+y-3=0. a) Compute dy/dx by implicit differentiation. b) What is dy/dx when x=1 and y=1? c) Solve for y in terms of x (by the quadratic formula) and compute dy/dx directly. Compare with your answer in part a).
I solved a) and b). a)=-4x^3/2y+1, and b)=-4/3. I'm stuck at c). This is what I've been doing: Using the quadratic formula to solve for y in x^4+y^2+y-3=0 gives y=(-1±√-4x^4+13)/2. Then applying the chain rule in the result of y gives -(4x^3)/√-4x^4+13. But it must give the same as a)= -4x^3/2y+1. Where am I failing at? How can I solve it?
Thank you for your time.

No: your solution for (a) is incorrect. You write
$$y' = -4 \frac{x^3}{2} y + 1,$$
but I get something quite different---unless, of course, you forgot to use parentheses!

Ray Vickson said:
No: your solution for (a) is incorrect. You write
$$y' = -4 \frac{x^3}{2} y + 1,$$
but I get something quite different---unless, of course, you forgot to use parentheses!
Sorry I must have written it wrong. a)=(-4x^3)/2y+1. a) and b) are both correct since the book gives that answer too.

KFSKSS said:
Sorry I must have written it wrong. a)=(-4x^3)/2y+1. a) and b) are both correct since the book gives that answer too.
Your answer for a is also wrong, again due to missing parentheses.

What you wrote is ##\frac{-4x^3}{2} y + 1##, according to the precedence rules of PEMDAS.
What you probably meant is almost certainly ##\frac{-4x^3}{2y + 1} ##

If you don't use LaTeX as I did, then what you wrote should have been -4x^3/(2y + 1), with parentheses around the two terms of the denominator. You could have parentheses around the numerator, but they aren't necessary.

LaTeX isn't hard to learn. We have a tutorial here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Mark44 said:
Your answer for a is also wrong, again due to missing parentheses.

What you wrote is ##\frac{-4x^3}{2} y + 1##, according to the precedence rules of PEMDAS.
What you probably meant is almost certainly ##\frac{-4x^3}{2y + 1} ##

If you don't use LaTeX as I did, then what you wrote should have been -4x^3/(2y + 1), with parentheses around the two terms of the denominator. You could have parentheses around the numerator, but they aren't necessary.

LaTeX isn't hard to learn. We have a tutorial here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
Okay, thanks Mark44. I typed it wrong twice. I meant what you typed. Now, HOW CAN I SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

You have told us what you meant, or rather you have told us that Mark has told us what you mean by solution (a ),

Now tell please in readable fashion what is your solution c including the steps getting there. Is that reasonable?

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of its independent variable. It is commonly used when the dependent variable cannot be easily isolated or solved for.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when the dependent variable is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable or when solving for the dependent variable is difficult or impossible. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function in which the dependent variable is explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. Implicit differentiation is used when this is not the case, and the dependent variable cannot be easily solved for.

4. What is the process of implicit differentiation?

The process of implicit differentiation involves treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable, and then using the chain rule to find the derivative. The resulting derivative will contain terms with both the dependent and independent variables.

5. What are some common applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics to find the rate of change of position, velocity, and acceleration. It is also used in economics to find marginal cost and marginal revenue. In engineering, it is used to find rates of change in electrical networks and in fluid dynamics.