Find Final Kinetic Energy of a particle subject to two forces

In summary, the formula for finding the final kinetic energy of a particle subject to two forces is KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is its final velocity. To determine the magnitude and direction of the final velocity, vector addition can be used. The final kinetic energy of a particle can be negative if it is slowed down or if the direction of the velocity is opposite to the force. The angle between the two forces can also affect the final kinetic energy, with 0 degrees resulting in a larger energy and 180 degrees resulting in a decrease. The final kinetic energy is not always equal to the initial kinetic energy, as it can change due to a change in velocity or external forces
maguss182
Homework Statement
The force of gravity (-mg) in the k direction and the non conservative force (-b)i-(b)j-(b)k act on a particle that starts off at speed V(int) from the origin to a point (1,1,0), while moving first in the x direction than in the y direction. Find the final kinetic energy of the particle.
Relevant Equations
DeltaT-DeltaU=Wnc T=1/2mv^2 U=-mg,
I'm having trouble putting the rest of the equations together, I believe I need the different from (0,0,0) to (1,0,0) and then (1,0,0) to (1,1,0) right? Then solve for x direction and y direction. What would I use for Wnc tho? I'm very confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
nm i got it

What is the formula for finding the final kinetic energy of a particle subject to two forces?

The formula for finding the final kinetic energy of a particle subject to two forces is K = 1/2mv2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is the final velocity.

How do you calculate the final kinetic energy of a particle subject to two forces?

To calculate the final kinetic energy of a particle subject to two forces, you need to first determine the mass of the particle and its final velocity. Then, plug these values into the formula K = 1/2mv2 to find the final kinetic energy.

What are the units for measuring final kinetic energy?

The units for measuring final kinetic energy are Joules (J). This is a unit of energy and is equivalent to kg*m2/s2.

Can the final kinetic energy of a particle be negative?

Yes, the final kinetic energy of a particle can be negative. This occurs when the particle's final velocity is in the opposite direction of its initial velocity, causing a decrease in kinetic energy.

What factors affect the final kinetic energy of a particle subject to two forces?

The final kinetic energy of a particle subject to two forces is affected by the mass of the particle, the magnitude and direction of the two forces, and the distance over which the forces act. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.