Find final speed using mechanical energy formula

In summary, the skateboarder at a skate park is traveling at a speed of 1.6m/s at point B due to the force of gravity.
Angela_vaal

Homework Statement

A skateboarder at a skate park rides along the path shown in (Figure 1) .If the speed of the skateboarder at point A is v=1.3m/s, what is her speed at point B? Assume that friction is negligible.
fig_8-31.png

Homework Equations

ui+ki=uf+kf
u=mgh
k=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

m(9.8x2.7)+1/2m(1.3)2=m(9.8x1)+1/2mvf2
m(26.46+.845)=m(9.8+.5) mvf2
vf=√((26.46+.845)/(9.8+.5))
answer=1.6 m/s
The answer is wrong. Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you changed 0.845 to 8.45 from one step to the next. That could have caused a problem but I didn't verify that was it.

TomHart said:
Looks like you changed 0.845 to 8.45 from one step to the next. That could have caused a problem but I didn't verify that was it.

I wrote it down wrong here but I did the work using.845 and still got 1.6m/s. I don't know what I am doing wrong :(

I'll look at it again.

Yeah, you have a math problem in going from the first line to the second line. You should re-work that again carefully.

TomHart said:
Yeah, you have a math problem in going from the first line to the second line. You should re-work that again carefully.
I will do that right now.

I"m not that great at math. Can you give me a hint of what I did wrong?

@Angela_vaal you wrote:
It's okay that you didn't, but at this point you could have (probably should have) canceled out all of the m's, because each term contains an 'm'.

Then you wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what you did to get to this equation. It looks like you're trying to factor mvf2 out of both terms on the right-hand side of the equation, but the first term does not contain a vf2. So that was not legal.

I think you ought to factor out all of the 'm's in the first equation, multiply out the numbers, and that will [hopefully] make it clearer to see how to proceed.

Angela_vaal said:

Homework Equations

ui+ki=uf+kf
u=mgh
k=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

The RHS should be 9.8m+0.5 mvf2
Factor out m.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it is just a math error as the general method of solving looks fine

I figured it out thank you!

1. How do you calculate final speed using the mechanical energy formula?

To calculate the final speed using the mechanical energy formula, you need to know the initial speed, the mass of the object, and the height of the object. The formula is Vf = √(Vi² + 2gh), where Vf is the final speed, Vi is the initial speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

2. What is the importance of finding the final speed using the mechanical energy formula?

Finding the final speed using the mechanical energy formula allows us to determine the kinetic energy of the object at the end of its motion. This information is important in understanding the overall energy of the system and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the object.

3. Can the mechanical energy formula be used for all types of motion?

The mechanical energy formula can only be used for motion that involves a change in height, such as objects falling or being thrown vertically. It cannot be used for motion on a horizontal surface.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the final speed calculated using the mechanical energy formula?

According to the formula Vf = √(Vi² + 2gh), the mass of an object does not directly affect the final speed. However, a heavier object will require more energy to reach the same final speed as a lighter object.

5. Can the mechanical energy formula be used to calculate the final speed of an object in a vacuum?

Yes, the mechanical energy formula can be used to calculate the final speed of an object in a vacuum. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, so the only force acting on the object is gravity. This means that the initial kinetic energy of the object will be equal to its final potential energy, and the final speed can be calculated using the mechanical energy formula.