Find Force Applied to Tooth with Tension of 2.0 N

In summary, the purpose of the arrangement shown in the drawing is to apply a force to the front tooth with a tension of 2.0 N. To find the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the front tooth, the equation T=2(sin/cos33) can be used, depending on whether the vertical or horizontal component is being solved for. However, the solution may be incorrect and it is recommended to draw a free body diagram and solve for the resultant force on the teeth. In another problem, if given the weight and asked for the tension, the equation T=cos*2 can be used. In the problem with the crow and clothesline, the solution would be T=10.2/2(sin23) =
Resmo112
The drawing below shows an elastic cord attached to two back teeth and stretched across a front tooth. The purpose of this arrangement is to apply a force to the front tooth. (The figure has been simplified by running the cord straight from the front tooth to the back teeth.) If the tension in the cord is 2.0 N, what are the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the front tooth?
N toward the back of the mouth

Closest I can figure this should be the T=2(sin/cos33) depending on whether you're trying to find the vertical or horizontal component of this problem. I believe I'm trying to find the x value so I have

2=T(cos33)(2) so I solve that algebraically and I get this

2/2cos(33) = t I put that in and it comes out to 1.2 to two sig figs. but apparently that's wrong, the only other thing I can figure is the 2's cancel and I'm left with 1/cos33 = T which is also 1.2. So where am I going wrong are there more forces? should I be using sin rather than cos? or am I not even solving the right problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Resmo112! :smile:
Resmo112 said:
Closest I can figure this should be the T=2(sin/cos33) depending on whether you're trying to find the vertical or horizontal component of this problem. I believe I'm trying to find the x value so I have

2=T(cos33)(2) so I solve that algebraically and I get this

2/2cos(33) = t I put that in and it comes out to 1.2 to two sig figs. but apparently that's wrong, the only other thing I can figure is the 2's cancel and I'm left with 1/cos33 = T which is also 1.2. So where am I going wrong are there more forces? should I be using sin rather than cos? or am I not even solving the right problem?

Why are you dividing by cos? :confused:

Draw a free body diagram for the forces on the teeth …

it should show only two external forces, from the tension …

the resultant force on the teeth is what you have to find. :wink:

tiny-tim said:

Why are you dividing by cos? :confused:

Draw a free body diagram for the forces on the teeth …

it should show only two external forces, from the tension …

the resultant force on the teeth is what you have to find. :wink:

I thought you were supposed to, when they gave you the Newtons for tension the equation is something like T=cos*2 I solved this problem like that

A crow sits on a clothesline midway between two poles as shown. Each end of the rope makes an angle of θ = 23° below the horizontal where it connects to the pole. If the combined weight of the crow and the rope is 10.2 N, what is the tension in the rope?

and here's the solution

2 (T sin 23) = 10.2 N
T = 10.2 N / 2 sin 23
T = 13.05 N

Resmo112 said:
A crow sits on a clothesline midway between two poles as shown. Each end of the rope makes an angle of θ = 23° below the horizontal where it connects to the pole. If the combined weight of the crow and the rope is 10.2 N, what is the tension in the rope?

Yes, if they give you the weight and ask for the tension, you divide by cos (or sin),

but here they give you the tension and ask for the weight. :wink:

(if you draw the free body diagram, it should be much clearer :smile:)

I would first clarify what the question is asking for. Is it asking for the magnitude and direction of the force applied to the front tooth, or is it asking for the force applied to the back teeth? In the drawing, it appears that the tension in the cord is pulling the front tooth towards the back of the mouth. So, if the question is asking for the force applied to the front tooth, then the magnitude and direction would be 2.0 N towards the back of the mouth. However, if the question is asking for the force applied to the back teeth, then the magnitude and direction would be 2.0 N towards the front of the mouth. It is important to clarify this in order to accurately solve the problem.

Assuming the question is asking for the force applied to the front tooth, we can use the equation F = Tcosθ, where F is the force applied, T is the tension in the cord, and θ is the angle between the cord and the horizontal. In this case, θ = 33 degrees. Plugging in the values, we get F = 2.0 N * cos33 = 1.4 N. So, the magnitude of the force applied to the front tooth is 1.4 N, and the direction is towards the back of the mouth.

It is also important to note that there may be other forces acting on the front tooth, such as the force of gravity or any other external forces. Without more information, it is difficult to accurately determine the net force on the front tooth. However, based on the given information, we can determine the force applied by the tension in the cord.

1. What is the formula for finding force applied to a tooth with a tension of 2.0 N?

The formula for finding force applied to a tooth with a tension of 2.0 N is F = T * sin(theta), where F represents the force applied, T represents the tension, and theta represents the angle between the force and the direction of the tension.

2. How do I determine the angle between the force and the direction of the tension?

The angle can be determined by using a protractor to measure the angle between the direction of the tension and the direction of the force. Alternatively, if the force and tension are represented by vectors, the angle can be found using vector addition and trigonometric functions.

3. Can the force applied to a tooth with a tension of 2.0 N be negative?

Yes, the force applied can be negative if the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the tension. This indicates that the force is pulling the tooth in the opposite direction of the tension.

4. What other factors can affect the force applied to a tooth with a tension of 2.0 N?

The force applied can also be affected by the surface area of the tooth, the type of material the tooth is made of, and the presence of any other forces acting on the tooth.

5. How can I measure the tension in a tooth?

The tension in a tooth can be measured using a tension meter or by attaching a known weight to the tooth and measuring the force required to lift it off the ground. Alternatively, the tension can be calculated using the force applied and the angle between the force and the direction of the tension.