What is the tension force for this system in rotational equilibrium?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system in rotational equilibrium and the equation for net torque, which must equal zero for the system to be in equilibrium. The length of the cord holding the spring scale is a constant multiple of L, and there are three methods for finding the moment due to forces at oblique angles. The final calculation results in a force of 29 N.
Np14
Homework Statement
See picture
Relevant Equations
Torque = Fnet x L
media-cc7-cc7b71af-a0ab-4108-8ab0-8457118ed7d0-phpWdBfVU.png

The system is in rotational equilibrium and therefore experiences no net torque, meaning all individual torques must add to zero.

τNET = 0 = FFTsin(θ)L - FgL - Fg(L/2)

τNET = 0 = FTsin30°(0.6?) - (0.5)(9.8)(0.6) - (2.0)(0.6/2)

My only problem (I think) is figuring out what the length L is for the cord holding the spring scale.

Physics news on Phys.org
Np14 said:
View attachment 241037

The system is in rotational equilibrium and therefore experiences no net torque, meaning all individual torques must add to zero.

τNET = 0 = FTsin30°(0.6?) - (0.5)(9.8)(0.6) - (2.0)(0.6/2)

My only problem (I think) is figuring out what the length L is for the cord holding the spring scale.
Is L the length of the cord or some other length?

Np14 said:
My only problem (I think) is figuring out what the length L is for the cord holding the spring scale
I think you mean that your problem is finding the moment arm for that force. You seem to be clear that L is the length of the beam.

There are essentially three ways to find the moments due to forces at oblique angles, all leading to the same answer, as you can check.
1. Use the line and magnitude of the force as is, and set the moment arm as the perpendicular distance from the line of the force to the axis.
2. Take the moment arm as the distance from the point of application of the force to the axis, but only use that component of the force which is at right angles to that moment arm.
3. Use the force as in 1 and the moment arm as in 2, but multiply their product by the sine of the angle between them.

EDIT:
Np14 said:

EDIT: My bad, there should only be one F for the first expression (didn't use two in my calculations anyways)

kuruman said:
Is L the length of the cord or some other length?

I see what you mean. The length should be some constant times L, I just don't know what it should be.

haruspex said:
1. Use the line and magnitude of the force as is, and set the moment arm as the perpendicular distance from the line of the force to the axis.

Using the first way,
sin30 x 0.6 = 0.3

I guess I just typed the equations into the calculator wrong because I got 29 N now which is the correct answer. Anyways, thanks for the clarification.

1. What is the definition of tension force in rotational equilibrium?

Tension force in rotational equilibrium refers to the force exerted by a rope, cable, or any other object that is being pulled or stretched. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force applied by the object to which it is attached.

2. How is tension force different from regular force in rotational equilibrium?

Tension force is a type of force that is specific to objects that are being pulled or stretched, whereas regular force can be applied in any direction. In rotational equilibrium, tension force is necessary to maintain the balance of forces and keep the object in a state of rotational equilibrium.

3. How is the tension force calculated in rotational equilibrium?

The tension force in rotational equilibrium is calculated by taking into account the force applied by the object, the distance from the pivot point, and the angle at which the force is applied. The equation for calculating tension force is T = F x d x sinθ, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, d is the distance from the pivot point, and θ is the angle at which the force is applied.

4. Can tension force ever be greater than the applied force in rotational equilibrium?

No, tension force can never be greater than the applied force in rotational equilibrium. This is because the object is in a state of equilibrium, meaning that all forces acting on it are balanced. Any increase in tension force would result in an imbalance of forces and cause the object to move out of rotational equilibrium.

5. How does the tension force change if the object is not in rotational equilibrium?

If the object is not in rotational equilibrium, the tension force will change accordingly. If the object is rotating, the tension force will increase as the distance from the pivot point increases. If the object is not rotating, the tension force may decrease if the object is moving towards the pivot point, or increase if the object is moving away from the pivot point.