Find Fourier series of Dirac delta function

In summary,- Dirac function is not periodic- The problem says to expand $\delta(x-t)$ as a Fourier series, but trying $a_0=\frac 1\pi\int_{-\pi}^{+\pi} \delta(x-t) \cdot 1\,dt$ doesn't work- Instead, use the property that $\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \delta(x-t) f(t)\,dt = f(x)$ if $-\pi < x < \pi$.- Then $a_n=\frac 1\pi\int_{-\pi}^{+\
ognik
Hi - firstly should I be concerned that the dirac function is NOT periodic?

Either way the problem says expand $\delta(x-t)$ as a Fourier series...

I tried $\delta(x-t) = 1, x=t; \delta(x-t) =0, x \ne t , -\pi \le t \le \pi$ ... ('1' still delivers the value of a multiplied function at t)

from there I tried $a_0 = \lim_{{\in}\to{0}}\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{t-\in}^{t+\in}1 \,dx $, but that's not going to give the answer in the book ($\frac{1}{2\pi} +\frac{1}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} Cosn(x-t)$)

A hint on how to start this please?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Hi - firstly should I be concerned that the dirac function is NOT periodic?

Either way the problem says expand $\delta(x-t)$ as a Fourier series...

I tried $\delta(x-t) = 1, x=t; \delta(x-t) =0, x \ne t , -\pi \le t \le \pi$ ... ('1' still delivers the value of a multiplied function at t)

from there I tried $a_0 = \lim_{{\in}\to{0}}\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{t-\in}^{t+\in}1 \,dx $, but that's not going to give the answer in the book ($\frac{1}{2\pi} +\frac{1}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} Cosn(x-t)$)

A hint on how to start this please?

Hi ognik,

When we expand a function to a Fourier series, that expansion is only valid between $-\pi$ and $\pi$.
Outside of that interval, we'll get indeed repetitions that don't belong to the dirac function.

Btw, $\delta(x-t) = \infty$ when $x=t$.
Instead we should use the property that $\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \delta(x-t) f(t)\,dt = f(x)$ if $-\pi < x < \pi$.

So we get:
$$a_0 = \frac 1 \pi \int_{-\pi}^{+\pi} \delta(x-t) \cdot 1 \,dt = \frac 1\pi \cdot 1$$

Thanks ILS, I hadn;t encountered that property - is it commonly used?

Dummy variables being something that can confuse me, please would you explain why it wouldn't be the usual $ a_0 = \frac1\pi \int \delta(x-t)f(x)\,dx = f(x)$ ?

Then is $ a_n = \frac 1\pi \int \delta(x-t)Cosnt\,dt = \frac 1\pi Cosnz|^\pi_-{\pi} $ ?

ognik said:
Thanks ILS, I hadn;t encountered that property - is it commonly used?

Yes. It is the fundamental property of the dirac function (although I modified it a bit to fit the problem at hand).
See for instance here.

Dummy variables being something that can confuse me, please would you explain why it wouldn't be the usual $ a_0 = \frac1\pi \int \delta(x-t)f(x)\,dx = f(x)$ ?

Then is $ a_n = \frac 1\pi \int \delta(x-t)Cosnt\,dt = \frac 1\pi Cosnz|^\pi_-{\pi} $ ?

When we take an integral, we integrate with respect to some (possibly dummy) variable.
After the integration that variable can no longer be present in the expression - it has been integrated.
In your example $x$ is being integrated, while $t$ is considered to be constant.
The resulting expression is not supposed to contain $x$ any more.

Note that when we write an indeterminate integral like $F(x) = \int f(x)\,dx$, there is an ambiguity in the usage of $x$.
It has 2 different meanings, which is something I recommend avoiding in Fourier analysis.
Properly it should be:
$$F(x) = \int^x f(\tilde x) \,d\tilde x$$

Thanks ILS.

Both x and t are variables, so why did you integrate w.r.t. t?

And please check my $a_n$ in my previous post - comparing with the book it looks wrong, but I can't see why?

ognik said:
Thanks ILS.

Both x and t are variables, so why did you integrate w.r.t. t?

And please check my $a_n$ in my previous post - comparing with the book it looks wrong, but I can't see why?

Your problem statement is actually rather confusing as to which variable we should integrate ($x$ or $t$).
Looking at the answer, I think it's neither $x$ nor $t$, but we should expand $\delta(y)$ instead, and afterwards substitute $y=x-t$.

Hi ILS, I believe I have it:
Your link shows everything we need, the property should be $ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta \left(x-t\right) \,dx = f(t)$

$a_0 =\frac{1}{\pi}$ is still correct

But $a_n= \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta \left(x-t\right) cos nx \,dx = \frac{1}{\pi}cos nt $ and similarly $b_n= \frac{1}{\pi}sin nt $

Then $ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta \left(x-t\right) \,dx = \frac{1}{2\pi} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left( Cosnt Cos nx +Sinnt Sin nx \right) = \frac{1}{2\pi} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} Cosn(x-t) $

Ah okay, it works like that as well.

I like Serena said:
Ah okay, it works like that as well.
Thanks again ILS - and I also got it using your suggested substitution :-)

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as zero for all values of x except at x = 0 where it is infinite. It is often referred to as a point mass or impulse function.

2. What is the significance of the Fourier series for the Dirac delta function?

The Fourier series for the Dirac delta function helps us represent the function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. This allows us to study and analyze the behavior of the delta function in the frequency domain, which is useful in many applications such as signal processing and physics.

3. How do you find the Fourier series of the Dirac delta function?

To find the Fourier series of the Dirac delta function, we use the formula δ(x) = 1/2π ∫π e-ikx dx. This results in a series of sine and cosine terms with coefficients that can be calculated using integration techniques.

4. Can the Fourier series of the Dirac delta function be used to approximate other functions?

Yes, the Fourier series of the Dirac delta function can be used to approximate other functions by expressing them as a linear combination of delta functions. This is known as the Dirac comb function and is commonly used in signal processing and communications.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier series for the Dirac delta function?

One limitation is that the Fourier series assumes that the function is periodic, which is not the case for the Dirac delta function. This means that the series may not converge for all values of x and may only be valid in certain regions. Additionally, the Fourier series does not accurately capture the behavior of the delta function at x = 0, where it is infinite.