Find Frequency for Zero Reactance in AC Circuit

In summary: R, then set the imaginary part equal to zero and solve for the frequency ω. This will give you the frequency at which Z behaves like a pure resistance, meaning the reactance is zero. So the phasor current I will also have zero phase shift relative to the voltage source at this frequency. In summary, the frequency ω at which the phasor current I will have zero phase shift relative to the voltage source is the frequency at which the equivalent impedance across the voltage source behaves like a pure resistance with zero reactance. This can be found by setting the imaginary part of the total impedance equal to zero and solving for ω.
trynalearn
Vs6FXYA.png

The question is:

The voltage source in the above circuit is a sinusoidal AC source with constant amplitude and constant phase shift but an adjustable frequency.
Calculate the frequency ω at which the phasor current I will have zero phase shift relative to the
voltage source. In other words, the equivalent impedance across the voltage source behaves like a
pure resistance with zero reactance at the required frequency.
(HINT: Given two complex numbers such that A + jB = C + jD, then A = C and B = D by inspection,
i.e. the real portion must equal the real portion and the imaginary portion must equal the
imaginary portion.)

Attempt:

Since it stated that the reactance is zero, that means Z = R. So Req = (1/100+1/100)^-1 = 50. I converted the v(t) into V (phasors) which become 100. Then I = V/R, so I get 100/50 = 2. I don't know what to do next. Am I even doing it correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion: when will the two reactances be equal and opposite? (giving zero sum)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello trying, welcome to PF :smile: !

You are doing fine. What about the hint in the exercise ? You have ## {1\over Z_{\rm total} } = {1\over Z_1 } + {1\over Z_2 } ## with 1 for branch 1 and 2 for branch 2, and all ## Z ## complex, but the imaginary part of ## {Z_{\rm total} }## equal to 0 ...

During resonance?

In other words, the equivalent impedance across the voltage source behaves like a
pure resistance with zero reactance at the required frequency
At the frequency the exercise is asking for Z = R, a real quantity.

BvU said:
At the frequency the exercise is asking for Z = R, a real quantity.
building off what BvU said, why don't you start by getting an algebraic expression for Z

1. What is zero reactance in an AC circuit?

Zero reactance in an AC circuit refers to the absence of resistance to the flow of current. It occurs when the inductive and capacitive reactances in the circuit cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit.

2. How is the frequency for zero reactance determined?

The frequency for zero reactance can be determined by using the equation f = 1/(2π√(LC)), where f is frequency, L is inductance, and C is capacitance. This equation is known as the resonant frequency formula for an AC circuit.

3. What is the significance of finding the frequency for zero reactance?

Finding the frequency for zero reactance is important for designing and analyzing AC circuits. It helps in determining the resonant frequency, which is the frequency at which the circuit will have maximum current and minimum impedance.

4. How does the frequency for zero reactance affect the performance of an AC circuit?

The frequency for zero reactance is crucial in ensuring optimal performance of an AC circuit. If the circuit is operating at the resonant frequency, it will have minimal power loss and maximum current flow, making it more efficient.

5. What factors can affect the frequency for zero reactance in an AC circuit?

The frequency for zero reactance can be affected by the values of inductance and capacitance in the circuit. Changes in these values can alter the resonant frequency and affect the overall performance of the circuit. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and interference can also impact the frequency for zero reactance.