Analyzing a frequency-mixer circuit in LTSpice

In summary: I'm sorry.In summary, the author is trying to do a transient analysis in LTSpice and is having trouble.
minhha04
Summary:: I'm trying to analyze a frequency-mixer circuit using LTSpice but i keep bumping into problems. Am I understanding something wrong?

so I'm trying to design a frequency-mixer circuit. (the images are all shown below) in LTSpice, and there's a task asking me to perform a transient analysis at 100 microseconds, and find the time it takes the voltage at IFF to reach steady-state value. however, when i plotted the graph, the line (the red line in the picture) seems to be a straight line from start to finish, instead of reaching a point where the values will cease to change. is there something wrong with my schematic? or did i understand something wrong?

all the pictures in order:

1. the original schematic

2. my schematic

3. the task in question

4. my graph ( V IFF is the red line)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 236
  • schematic a.PNG
    schematic a.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 213
  • question.PNG
    question.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 182
  • schematic c.PNG
    schematic c.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 193
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
An LTspice schematic.asc file is an ASCII text file. There can be things in your schematic.asc file that are invisible on the screen image.
If you copy and rename the file as schematic.asc.txt you can then attach it to your post and I can run it here.

Likes DaveE and berkeman
LTspice requires 4 MHz to be written as 4MEG, 4meg or 4e6.
Where you use a capital M, I expect you are getting millihertz, not Megahertz.
3.5M = 3.5 millihertz. Try 3.5MEG or 3meg5

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes minhha04 and berkeman
Baluncore said:
you are right! I changed it to MEG and it worked, thank you so much!

Likes berkeman
minhha04 said:
I changed it to MEG and it worked, thank you so much!
That is all part of the service we offer. You did the right thing asking here. The SPICE learning curve is steep, and there are some overhangs. There are also some shortcuts you will find out about later. The M or MEG gets everyone sometime.

Avoid including units in component values. The trap I like best is the one farad capacitor, 1F, that seems not to be connected.
The F is interpreted not as a farad, but as femto = 1e-15.

Search LTspice Help for MEG to find the SI prefixes. They were hidden at the end of the “General Structure and Conventions” page.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Be aware that a frequency mixer is a Large Signal "device".

Small Signal analysis in SPICE (.AC) will NOT give you the right answer. Specifically diode mixers (or any other type) will not "mix" without large signal, NONLINEAR excursions of the diodes. This is central to how any mixer works - it has to "switch" in order to achieve the nonlinearity required. So this implied you must use .TRAN or large signal transient simulation.

The mixing action comes from higher order polynomial terms of the mixing device that give you minimially square law (2nd order) or higher terms which then give you "cos RF cos LO = ..." trig identity terms which results in terms that look like cos (RF+LO) + cos (RF-LO).

Baluncore said:
That is sooo annoying. I know it and still regularly screw it up.

1. How do I set up a frequency-mixer circuit in LTSpice?

To set up a frequency-mixer circuit in LTSpice, you will need to first create a schematic of the circuit using the available components and their corresponding symbols. Then, you will need to specify the values of the components and their connections. Finally, you can run a simulation to analyze the performance of the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing a frequency-mixer circuit in LTSpice?

The purpose of analyzing a frequency-mixer circuit in LTSpice is to understand the behavior and performance of the circuit. This can help in designing and optimizing the circuit for specific applications.

3. How do I interpret the results of the simulation in LTSpice?

The results of the simulation in LTSpice can be interpreted by analyzing the various graphs and plots that are generated. These include voltage and current waveforms, frequency response plots, and other relevant data. You can also use the cursor tool to measure specific values at different points in the circuit.

4. Can I modify the circuit and run multiple simulations in LTSpice?

Yes, you can modify the circuit and run multiple simulations in LTSpice. This can help in comparing the performance of different circuit configurations and optimizing the design for specific requirements.

5. Are there any resources available for learning more about analyzing frequency-mixer circuits in LTSpice?

Yes, there are various online resources available for learning more about analyzing frequency-mixer circuits in LTSpice. These include tutorials, forums, and user guides provided by the LTSpice community. You can also refer to textbooks and other reference materials on circuit analysis and simulation.