Find friction force on box.

In summary: The bucket of concrete weighs 62.0kg, not the bag of gravel.In summary, the question is asking for the friction force on a box connected to a 62.0 kg bucket of concrete and a 50.0 kg bag of gravel by a light cable over a friction-free pulley. The coefficients of friction between the box and the roof are provided as μs = 0.700 and μk = 0.400. Using the equation F = μN, the attempt at a solution incorrectly calculated the maximum static friction force as 893 N using the combined mass of the box and the bag of gravel. The correct answer for the friction force on the box is 608 N, which can be found by
MattRC

Homework Statement

At a construction site, a 62.0 kg bucket of concrete hangs from a light (but strong) cable that passes over a light friction-free pulley and is connected to an 80.0 kgbox on a horizontal roof (see the figure (Figure 1) ). The cable pulls horizontally on the box, and a 50.0 kg bag of gravel rests on top of the box. The coefficients of friction between the box and roof are shown. The system is not moving. μs = 0.700, μk = 0.400

https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/2039115/1/YF-07-29.jpg

The question I am trying to answer is part B:
Find the friction force on the box.

Homework Equations

F = μN

The Attempt at a Solution

m_box = 80.0kg
m_sand = 62.0kg

F = μN
F = μmg
F = μ(mbox + msand)g
F = 0.700(80.0kg + 62.0kg)9.81
F = 893 N

So I have already got the answer wrong on mastering physics after 5 attempts and it revealed that the answer is 608N. I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong or how to actually get 608N.

Physics news on Phys.org
u(mbox + mgravel)g would be the maximum static friction possible. You need to calculate the actual frictional force.

Hints
What force acts on the box?
Why do they tell you its not moving?
Where is your free body diagram for the box?

MattRC said:
F = μ(mbox + msand)g

This equation doesn't look right to me. It will give you the maximum value of static friction, but if the tension in the string is less than this the box won't move.

m_sand = 62.0kg

This is not right, either.

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is a type of force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It is caused by the microscopic interactions between the surfaces of the two objects.

2. How is friction force calculated?

The friction force on an object can be calculated using the formula: F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the friction force on an object?

The friction force on an object is affected by the coefficient of friction, the normal force, the surface area of contact, and the type of surfaces in contact.

4. How does the direction of friction force affect the motion of an object?

The direction of friction force is always opposite to the direction of motion of the object. This means that it can either slow down or prevent the object from moving altogether.

5. How can we reduce the friction force on an object?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, smoothing or polishing the surfaces in contact, or by using materials with lower coefficients of friction.