Static and kinetic friction help?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of kinetic friction and static friction for a box being dragged with a horizontal force. The coefficient of kinetic friction is found to be 0.51 and for finding the coefficient of static friction, an applied force of 40 N is used.
AnnaRiddle
Thread moved from the techniccal forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
I found a problem and I'm having one question, it goes like this:

A box of 5 kg is being dragged across the floor with a horizontal force of 40 N. If it starts at rest and it begins to accelerate at 3 m/s2 (constant acceleration), find:
A) The coefficient of kinetic friction
B) Supposing that this force (the 40 N) was just enough to start moving the box, find the coefficient of static friction

for A), I did my free body diagram and force summation, I found that my coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.51 (is it right?)

I'm not sure if my approach for B is correct. I used the same free body diagram but set my force summation equal to zero since the object has no acceleration in that case. (∑Fx = 40 N - μN = 0, where N= 49.05 N) I'm just unsure if I should use an applied force of less than 40 N (like 39 maybe?) or if I should still use 40.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should use 40.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and increases as the applied force increases.

2. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that acts on an object as it moves over a surface. It is generally lower than static friction and remains constant as the object moves at a constant speed.

3. How do static and kinetic friction help us?

Static and kinetic friction help us understand and predict the behavior of objects when they are in contact with other surfaces. They also play a crucial role in everyday activities such as walking, driving, and using tools.

4. What factors affect the amount of static and kinetic friction?

The amount of static and kinetic friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force applied, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

5. How can we reduce the effects of static and kinetic friction?

The effects of static and kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, choosing materials with lower coefficients of friction, and minimizing the force applied to the object.