Find i such that ##t_{net}=0## for a loop/(Cross prod. help)

• Thread starter Potatochip911
  • Start date
In summary: That's the important point.Right. So if the torques about the y-axis balance, it won't roll. That's the important point.In summary, the problem involves finding the least amount of current needed to keep a wood cylinder, with a wire coil wrapped around it, from rolling down an inclined plane in the presence of a vertical magnetic field. The torque from the coil on the cylinder is equal to the torque from the cylinder's weight, as long as the net torque in the y-axis is equal to zero. This ensures that the cylinder does not roll down the plane.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

A wood cylinder of mass ##m## and length ##L## with ##N## turns of wire wrapped around it longitudinally, so that the plane of the wire coil contains the long central axis of the cylinder. The cylinder is released on a plane inclined at an angle ##\theta## to the horizontal, with the plane of the coil parallel to the incline plane. If there is a vertical uniform magnetic field ##B##, what is the least current ##i## through the coil that keeps the cylinder from rolling down the plane?

woodcylinder.jpg

Homework Equations

##\vec{\tau}=\vec{\mu}\times \vec{B}##
##\vec{\tau}=\vec{r}\times \vec{F}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the cylinder isn't rolling down the plane we have that ##\tau_{net}=0##, the torque from coil on the cylinder is ##\tau_{coil}=\vec{\mu}\times\vec{B}=NiAB\sin\theta## and the torque from the cylinder's weight is ##\tau_{w}=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}=rmg\sin\theta##, now setting these equal to each other solves the problem but I'm confused about the direction of these forces from the right hand rule/cross product. I'll draw a picture to show you:
ngqdcz.png

Which makes no sense and I also can't get the torque from the cylinders weight to go in the correct direction, if someone could show/tell me what's wrong with my vector diagram that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:
Which makes no sense and I also can't get the torque from the cylinders weight to go in the correct direction, if someone could show/tell me what's wrong with my vector diagram that would be great.
Why do you think it does not make sense?
Please show your working with regard to the torque from gravity.

haruspex said:
Why do you think it does not make sense?
Please show your working with regard to the torque from gravity.
I messed up the first cross product, it should be ##\vec{u}\times\vec{B}=\hat{j}##, and for torque from gravity:
2hwmnpl.png

I will explain why this doesn't make sense to me. The question is asking what the smallest value of current is that will stop the cylinder from rolling down the plane. I just can't see how setting the net torque equal to zero in the y plane will hold the cylinder in place.

I would think that for the cylinder we would need ##F_{netx}=0## and ##F_{nety}=0## not ##\tau_{net}=0##

Potatochip911 said:
I just can't see how setting the net torque equal to zero in the y plane will hold the cylinder in place.
There isn't a y plane, there's a y axis. If it were to roll, which axis would it rotate about?

Likes Potatochip911
haruspex said:
There isn't a y plane, there's a y axis. If it were to roll, which axis would it rotate about?
I suppose it would roll about the y axis

Potatochip911 said:
I suppose it would roll about the y axis
Right. So if the torques about the y-axis balance, it won't roll.

What is the formula for calculating the net torque on a loop?

The formula for calculating the net torque on a loop is ##t_{net}=I\alpha##, where I is the moment of inertia and ##\alpha## is the angular acceleration.

How do I find the moment of inertia of a loop?

The moment of inertia of a loop can be calculated using the formula ##I=mr^2##, where m is the mass of the loop and r is the radius of the loop.

What does it mean for the net torque on a loop to be equal to zero?

If the net torque on a loop is equal to zero, it means that the loop is in rotational equilibrium and is not experiencing any rotational acceleration. This can happen when the external forces acting on the loop are balanced, or when the loop is not rotating at all.

How can I use the cross product to find the net torque on a loop?

The cross product can be used to find the net torque on a loop by taking the cross product of the force vector and the position vector. The magnitude of this cross product is equal to the product of the magnitude of the force, the magnitude of the position vector, and the sine of the angle between them.

Can I use the cross product to find the net torque on a non-circular loop?

Yes, the cross product can be used to find the net torque on a non-circular loop as long as the force and position vectors are perpendicular to each other. The moment of inertia and angular acceleration may be more difficult to calculate in this case, but the overall process is the same.