Find index of refraction of a sphere given the beam path

In summary: Since the sphere is transparent, the light will still continue through the sphere. Therefore, the only way to produce a point image at the center of the sphere is for the index of refraction to be infinity. In summary, for a beam of parallel light rays incident on a solid transparent sphere, the index of refraction of the sphere can be calculated using n1/p + n2/i = (n2-n1)/r. If a point image is produced at the back of the sphere, the index of refraction is determined to be 2. However, it is not possible to produce a point image at the center of the sphere, as it would require an infinite index of refraction.
MrMoose

Homework Statement

A beam of parallel light rays from a laser is incident on a solid transparent sphere of index of refraction n1 (see figure). (a) If a point image is produced at the back of the sphere, what is the index of refraction of the sphere? (b)What index of refraction, if any, will produce a point image at the center of the sphere.

Homework Equations

n1/p + n2/i = (n2-n1)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

n1 ~ 1.0 for air
i = 2r

Assuming that the factor n1/p -> 0 since the object is so far away that the light rays are parallel (is this assumption correct?)

(a) Substituting for n1 and i:

n2/2r = n2/r - 1/r

n2/2r - n2/r = -1/r

n2 (1/2r - 2/2r) = -1/r

n2(-1/2r) = -1/r

n2 = 2

This is the correct answer, but I want to make sure my assumption above was correct and I didn't just luck out.

(b) Using the same equation from part 2 above, but substituting i = r,

n2/r = n2/r - 1/r

0 = - 1/r

In order for this to be true, the sphere would have to be infinitely large so, realistically, there is no value of r that would place the image at the center of the sphere.

Attachments

• 19p.jpg
    19p.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 626
Physics news on Phys.org
For b, you can see that it is not possible by running the light rays in reverse. If they originate at the centre of the sphere then they will not refract at all, so cannot become parallel.

1. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light as it passes through it. It is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material.

2. How is the index of refraction related to a sphere's beam path?

The index of refraction affects the path of a beam of light as it passes through a sphere. As the light passes through the sphere, its direction will change based on the index of refraction of the sphere and the angle at which the beam enters the sphere.

3. What factors affect the index of refraction of a sphere?

The index of refraction of a sphere is affected by the material it is made of, the temperature of the sphere, and the wavelength of light passing through it. These factors can cause the index of refraction to vary slightly.

4. How is the index of refraction of a sphere measured?

The index of refraction of a sphere can be measured using a device called a spectrometer. This device measures the angle at which light is bent as it passes through the sphere and uses this information to calculate the index of refraction.

5. Why is knowing the index of refraction of a sphere important?

Knowing the index of refraction of a sphere is important in many scientific and engineering applications. It can help in designing and optimizing lenses, mirrors, and other optical devices. It is also important in understanding the behavior of light in different materials and environments.